Options

From operations to junior admin?

nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
I am currently working in the NOC (Network Operations Center) at a large datacenter. The job is alright, but it includes a lot of lifting and drilling and ... well a job that you wouldn't want to wear clothes that you would like to keep stain or tear free.

Would it seem like a good idea to shoot for a junior admin job after two years? This current job will be my only non-coding IT experience.

Things that I do at my job are DNS, network troubleshooting, spam/abuse issues, server builds, etc.

Operating systems: XP, Server 2003, SuSE, Red Hat, Fedora.

I am a CCNA, but will also have my MCSE:2003 cert by then.
GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It really depends on the conditions of the junior admin position. I have a similar job to yours, and I do about the same things, along with a few additional projects around the datacenter. If the other job pays better, is offering more challenging work, and potentially has the option of moving up from junior admin to full-fledged admin within a forseeable amount of time, I'd say go for it. You just have to weigh the pros and the cons of your current job vs. the new one, and see how it pans out.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    It isn't really the pay that I am worried about. I just want to get more in to the administration aspect of IT... and a little less physical support.
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Jr. Admin seems like a very reasonable next step. Does your company hire from within? If so let them know you want a shot. It can't hurt. Eventually you will need to look elsewhere.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    I'm not really sure. The old owners of the company sold the place, and a lot of the older people got fired. Thats when I came in. I will most likely be having to move in two years anyway.