Options

Entry level IT jobs in Sydney?

Are there any that don't require over a year of experience?!

I'm getting very frustrated aboue it all.
"There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"

Comments

• Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Hi,

Unfortunately that is the way its going.

I am in the same boat as you and it can get very annoying, you can not get experience without getting a job that will give you that much needed experience.

If you can give your time to a charity organisation that would be class as experience in my book.

I think for me anyway i will have a better chance of getting into I.T. in Europe.

Having said that dont give up and keep knocking on door's so to speak, eventually you will get your first I.T. position but you are going to have to start at the bottom and work hard to climb the ladder.

Regards

Eamonn

I take it you are only starting out?
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Yep. I've only had 1 IT job previously and that was in sales for just 2 weeks.

I'm from Ireland and over here on a 1 year working holiday Visa.

Been applying for jobs for weeks.

Most of my job experience is customer service related which should be on my side, just need to get some commercial IT experience.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Hi,

Are you here long? If not keep trying and applying to as many job postings.

Also i have been told when i went down the road of applying for I.T. positions - mostly Helpdesk that employer's are not likely to invest their time in showing backpacker's the ropes as they are not going to be staying around very long.

I suppose you can see where the employer is coming from, why invest time in training someone about the position when they are not going to be around for very long.
    Seen as people on Work Visa's are entitled to work for an employer for 6 months at a time, the only way to get around that is if that employer was willing to sponsor you which would be great for you.

Do you have 3rd level education or any Certificate's as they will stand to you also but i think the most important factor is work experience.

Having the theory apparently does not get you the job which i think is very strange.

My argument is why do we go to university or take the time to study for Vendor Certification and still cant get a job.

I wish you the best

Regards

Eamonn
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • Options
    KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm based in Sydney, and there are companies that will employ people who have less than a year experience... as long as you come off well in the interview....

Only problem is, now is the worst time of year to be looking for work... wait till end of januarary and there should be plenty of jobs floating around.....
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I did a 2 year certificate course in "Computing in applications and support".

I'm also A+ and Network+ certified.

The problems are that I don't have any IT experience and I'll only be in Sydney till the end of March.

I think the best thing is to wait until I'm settled before I try to get a full-time IT job.

I might try and find some places in Sydney who need volunteers to set up computers and networks in order to get some form of experience to put on the CV.

Cheers.
  • Options
    ms_visioms_visio Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□