Options

Does this seem Obsessive?

Claud MurdockClaud Murdock Inactive Imported Users Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got bored with Security and pen-testing, and now after hearing Barry Wels (of toool) give a lecture on physical security, I am now getting into locks as a hobby. I probably to date, have spent around $600 on locks, lock picks, and bump keys, due to the fascination that I saw when Barry just without effort picked locks on stage. I think it's pretty cool stuff, and it relates to IT with the Federal Regulations set by HIPPA, and ISO under the 18 USC, but besides that, does it seem a little over the top for me to spend money the way I do on fun little hobbies? icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They have lock picking contests at DefCon in Vegas every year. I never got into it, but for some reason it seems that hackers like to break into more than just computers.... icon_lol.gif

Disclaimer: Just kidding about hackers. Please don't argue the definition of a hacker. It was just a joke. icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I got bored with Security and pen-testing, and now after hearing Barry Wels (of toool) give a lecture on physical security, I am now getting into locks as a hobby. I probably to date, have spent around $600 on locks, lock picks, and bump keys, due to the fascination that I saw when Barry just without effort picked locks on stage. I think it's pretty cool stuff, and it relates to IT with the Federal Regulations set by HIPPA, and ISO under the 18 USC, but besides that, does it seem a little over the top for me to spend money the way I do on fun little hobbies? icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not giving you my home address. lol

But yeah, thats cool..Gonna be like the "Italian Job"
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    sprkymrk wrote:
    They have lock picking contests at DefCon in Vegas every year. I never got into it, but for some reason it seems that hackers like to break into more than just computers.... icon_lol.gif

Disclaimer: Just kidding about hackers. Please don't argue the definition of a hacker. It was just a joke. icon_wink.gif

Hackers also like to break into houses.. icon_lol.gif
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you doing this at home or at work? I don't think its obsessive if theres a reasonable cause for concern.
  • Options
    It's more of just a hobby I do on the very little off time from work and school that I have. I remain EXTREMELY ethical and discrete about it due to the nature of the subject, I have never picked a lock I have not owned myself, although I had a co-worker whom was skeptical ask if I could pick a lock to an office, to which I immediately refused. I have been to Defcon and the Blackhat briefings on many ocations, but I am talking about Barry's nice little talk at HOPE 6 over the summer, they had a "lockpick village" after the talk. The cool Picksets they had were engraved which was interesting. But what I was trying to ask was if it was obsessive to spend the amount of money I have on the Locks and Tools?
  • Options
    I wouldn't call it obsessive at all. How much do golfers spend on their clubs and green fees? How much do geeks spend on computers? How much do hunters spend on a rifle, scope and licenses? icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Good point lol, too bad others don't think like that. As with any other sensitive topic, the public looks down on those who know how or want to know a lot about or how to circumvent things like security systems. Shame, it's only for curiosity and the challenge. I guess my mind just works different, in the fact when I see something, I look at it's flaws to see how someone could bypass it...
  • Options
    Good point lol, too bad others don't think like that. As with any other sensitive topic, the public looks down on those who know how or want to know a lot about or how to circumvent things like security systems. Shame, it's only for curiosity and the challenge. I guess my mind just works different, in the fact when I see something, I look at it's flaws to see how someone could bypass it...

I understand that. In case you couldn't tell by my avatar, I love collecting and shooting guns. (I was going to say I am a hobbiest shooter, but that sounds like I shoot hobbiests). icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    hahaha!

I owned a remington 870 in 9th grade when I was on the trap shooting team, but thats about it for guns, I sold that thing ages ago.