Options

IOS Versions and Feature Set Information

mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    great amazing post....can we sticky this please?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Well I see this post is still pretty popular, figured I'd bump it so the new people can see icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Well I see this post is still pretty popular
    That could be from all the traffic the link in the CCNA FAQ is generating icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Hi George,

In the original post didn't you mention you had students or something? Something seems edited, but I only ready the original about a week ago.

Are you a teacher? If so, how do you get into teaching? I think it is a wonderful professional. I know from afar a CCIE who also teaches who used to work for my company. He quit to teach full time.
  • Options
    Updated agian as of 3/31/07 to include InterVLAN routing & dot1q trunking for 2610, 2611 and 2613 routers using 10BaseT Ethernet port & required IOS version
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Thanks for the info; a definite time saver icon_exclaim.gif
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    This thread is been updated once agian to include the Cisco Standard IOS Naming Notation.

Hope you guys find it eaiser to understand icon_lol.gif

This thread is getting rather long, so sooner or later I'm going to have to
    completely redo it and include a table of contents lol... Which I'm not looking
    forward to icon_mad.gif
  • Options
    markzabmarkzab Member Posts: 619
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    This thread is been updated once agian to include the Cisco Standard IOS Naming Notation.

Hope you guys find it eaiser to understand icon_lol.gif

This thread is getting rather long, so sooner or later I'm going to have to
    completely redo it and include a table of contents lol... Which I'm not looking
    forward to icon_mad.gif

icon_redface.gif

Why do I feel like I was the reason for you having more work to do. icon_lol.gif

Well, you ARE a teacher. bowing.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    << I enjoy being a instructor from time to time, although it has its up's and downs...

You know how many people look at me in a funny way when they find out their
    instructor is a 20 year old kid with over 14 certs lol... Some times I wish
    I could just snap a pic of their facial expressions...

Last summer I went into the class and I pretended to be a student and started to talk
    with the other students and what not and and get to know them... When class was about
    to start every one sat down (even I did as I was pretending to be a student) and then
    when they were like man wheres the teacher? I got up and i said "Well im going to be
    your instructor" and the students laughed at me till i started to write up the schedual on
    the board and what we'd covernad when we'd do it etc...

I often have problems getting people to beleive that I'm an instructor but I guess at my
    age, its a compliment.

and yes I did write those up their for ya mark, and everyone else who has asked questions
    about what ios is what. Hope this helps you guys out. I think this posting is the only website
    on the web that pretty much tells you what almost every notation means, i couldnt really find
    all that good of cisco documentation about their naming notation. You can find a few sites
    on cisco that tells you what it what, but they only tell you like 1 feature set at a time, like one
    page would talk about nothing but enterprise crap and another page would talk about IP base.
    you get my drift....

One of my exams covers cisco ios naming notation and i expect my students to know it.
    mainly because when ur in the field and you cannot figure out why you cant get the piece
    of crap to work, its probably because you have the wrong feature set (laughs)
  • Options
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    << I enjoy being a instructor from time to time, although it has its up's and downs...

You know how many people look at me in a funny way when they find out their
    instructor is a 20 year old kid with over 14 certs lol... Some times I wish
    I could just snap a pic of their facial expressions...

Last summer I went into the class and I pretended to be a student and started to talk
    with the other students and what not and and get to know them... When class was about
    to start every one sat down (even I did as I was pretending to be a student) and then
    when they were like man wheres the teacher? I got up and i said "Well im going to be
    your instructor" and the students laughed at me till i started to write up the schedual on
    the board and what we'd covernad when we'd do it etc...

I often have problems getting people to beleive that I'm an instructor but I guess at my
    age, its a compliment.

and yes I did write those up their for ya mark, and everyone else who has asked questions
    about what ios is what. Hope this helps you guys out. I think this posting is the only website
    on the web that pretty much tells you what almost every notation means, i couldnt really find
    all that good of cisco documentation about their naming notation. You can find a few sites
    on cisco that tells you what it what, but they only tell you like 1 feature set at a time, like one
    page would talk about nothing but enterprise crap and another page would talk about IP base.
    you get my drift....

One of my exams covers cisco ios naming notation and i expect my students to know it.
    mainly because when ur in the field and you cannot figure out why you cant get the piece
    of crap to work, its probably because you have the wrong feature set (laughs)

Any possibility in you sending me that test so I can practise for myself...without paying for one of your classes of course? icon_lol.gif
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky
  • Options
    markzab wrote:
    Any possibility in you sending me that test so I can practise for myself...without paying for one of your classes of course? icon_lol.gif

Here ya go, knock ya self out :P Just dont **** :P, answer them first and compare ya self
    if ya like so that way you know where you stand, it will give you a good ideal of what
    you need to practice on. Most the stuff on this test is actual real world benificial. If you know
    whats on this test, it will definately help in the real world when your in a situation where time
    matters. Enjoy icon_lol.gif

Test;
    http://www.freewebs.com/whiteice27/chapt4test.doc

Answer Key;
    http://www.freewebs.com/whiteice27/chapt4key.txt
  • Options
    Thanks bud. :D

Just took a look at a few of the questions and don't know some of them. I'm gonna use the test as a guide to stuff I look up on the net, read up on it, and then try to do the test in a week or 2 so it's not like I'm just cheating. icon_wink.gif

Thanks teach. :P
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i've got a 2620 with this ios: c2600-jk9s-mz.122-29.bin, is this okay for CCNA or should i look into getting something else?
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's an enterprise version of IOS that supports IP, so sure, you're good to go.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    If your curious of what you have compare it to the notation chart i added at the bottom of the main post.

You have enterprise plus ipsec 3des 12.2(29)
  • Options
    Sorry I've not been around folks but the thread is updated once agian with ways
    to find free IOS Downloads. Enjoy folks!!
  • Options
    When I mean corps running enterprise most of the time I'm talking about ISP's, Universities,
    Hospitals, Goverment facilities etc... not small/med businesses.

Alot of contracting I've done, the company uses enterprise and dont even need it. But its nice
    to see a company stick to what is needed rather then what is cool to have.

But in the heat of the moment, people like to think its nice to have it and not need it, then need
    it and not have it.