Options

Important system files

jonathan_hebertjonathan_hebert Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I can't for the life of me get the system files straight. On every practice exam I've taken I do horribly on the key files. I've got three sources that I've studied to death. Sybex's A+ complete, Microsoft's Faster/Smarter, and www.quickcert.com. All three give the absolute BASIC info on each of the files. I've also tried flash cards and mneumonics.

I've been searching the net for a while now for a more advanced study sheet, or "tree," of what order system files load for each OS, as well as a little more info about what each of the key files do. I'm fearing that without years, or at least months, of experience with these files, I'm doomed. I've got a lab, and a XP pro running Virtual PC with 2000 Pro, NT, ME, & 9x. That is helping me more with paths, but as far as the files are concerned, it just lists them with no other information.

I've already failed OS 2003 once, and as y'all know... I can't fail it again, or I'm forced to go with the 2006 objectives. icon_pale.gif

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Jon,
    What sort of score are you receiving? With 100 questions, it's pretty difficult to imagine that the bulk of your questions are all from this one area.

Also, on your score sheet what areas does it suggest you study? It is possibly you are getting the boot order questions correct, but getting other areas wrong.

I'm just thinking things may not be as bleek as you might thing :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    jonathan_hebertjonathan_hebert Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Jon,
    What sort of score are you receiving? With 100 questions, it's pretty difficult to imagine that the bulk of your questions are all from this one area.

Also, on your score sheet what areas does it suggest you study? It is possibly you are getting the boot order questions correct, but getting other areas wrong.

I'm just thinking things may not be as bleek as you might thing :)

True. They are definitely not as bleak this time. I scored a 458, with 505 being passing. So my score wasn't all that bad.

I've been able to review the other areas I was weak in easily. For instance, I completely tanked on paths for all the other OSs besides XP. But I've been able to freshen up on that by getting Virtual PC, so that's no longer an issue. My good friend who is A+, Net+, and Serv + said that I'd now pass having reviewed it, on that alone.

The reason for my post was because I couldn't find ANYTHING that made system files connect to me. It was just plain confusing as to which did which. Fortunately last night, I had the determination to just re-read the chapter of the Sybex book(I presonally think it's the best of all my study guides), and it started to click! I'm now going to put a tip up here in the forum in hopes it helps others.

Thanks for your help and encouragement Plantwiz! :D