Options

Security +....Please Help

A_AA_A Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everybody,

I passed my 270 last friday with good score, Now i am planning to take Security + before 290.

I dont have any experence at all, just i am IT Student and planing to go for Security + exam by next month 20.

I have Labsim and Q & A with Explanation, But i am planning to buy book also, Looking for Sybex...book from sybex is ok???

Please also let me know if Security + exam is difficult then 270 win XP?? icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    You need more than one resource to study for this one. The book from Syngress publishers is highly recommended. The Sybex publication is probably O. K. too. You can use the TechNotes here at TechExams.net. And look around for other things, like practice exams. No single resource will give you everything.

The big thing is find lots of scenario type learning resources so that you can actually learn security--so that you can actually do it.

I took the exam because my voucher was about to expire, and I did not do too badly, but still did not pass. I needed to study more. I used CBT Nuggets and Syngress and TechExams. And, with these, I don't recall any instance during the exam where I did not recognize the scenario or the security concept involved(I thought so, anyway), but I still did not pass.

My advice is, don't hurry up to do this one, and use lots of resources in preparation. Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Thanks for reply, I know, I need some more time to study, But in college lots work.

Thats why i am planning to go for Security + about in 5 weeks. and i can study easly 4 to 5 hours daily.

Any body can tell, which one is hard test Security + or 270 ???? icon_confused.gif:
  • Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    they 270 and the security+ are really different tests, the security+ is challenging but not impossible, the key is to study as many different things as you can, go through the technotes and other free resources, run down the objectives, and take practice tests, the things you are week on, you then turn to web searches to find more info on specific things, sans.org has alot of info as well as other info security sites, the key is to understand the concepts behind the objectives/attacks and not just the names of them, you need a good understanding of the OSI layer and tcp/ip because that is mostly what you are securing, or that is what will be exploited, the weaknesses in these...

but, i'm sure you can do it, if you want it you can have it, don't rush and be extra sure
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Just a thought...
    You might want to wait on the Security+ until after taking 290/291.
    You can pass it OK, but some of the concepts may have more real-world value if you have some more experience in the world of servers.

Books? Both Syngress and Sybex are good. I prefer the Sybex.
    You will need a second book anyway. Technotes on this site are very good.
    Practice tests are invaluable for testing your knowledge. Use at least two.
    ExamCram Practice Test book has over 700 questions.

Congratulations on passing 270.
    Good luck on Security+.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    Thanks, Please anybody can tell me, which site i can find better price for Security + sybex book.