Options

Simulator

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Does anybody have a Cisco IOS emulation program that runs in windows

Just so I can get to grips with the way Commands work and how to navigate through the Command Line

Bearing in mind I won't be actually using any routers I just want to get a feel for the O/S layout

Many Thanks

Ally
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Theres already a billion threads on this topic, but I would say Boson Netsim is one of the better sims out there. Search around & I'm sure you'll find plenty of info on each of them.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you've got 7200 or 3600 (and who knows what else has been added lately) IOS images then you could try Dynamips/Dynagen.

Check out this thread down near the bottom -- it has most of the Dynamips/Dynagen links you'd want to check out.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    emmajoyceemmajoyce Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey ally,
    I will give you my perspective. I have the semsim, boson CCNP, cisco and the routerconsole.com simulators. Theyall will help you if just doing basic configurations. I found that none will allow you to do little used commands. For example logging synchronous or terminal history size command. Although the boson did actally allow the loggiing command. The cisco was free , The semsim was cheap and is an excellant one for just doing basic interface , router rip and those type of commands. Next in price was the one at routerconsole.com. I only had the "try it" version. It appeared not to do much more than the semsim. The free one from cisco was great for just starting out. It allowed you to do basic configs and acls, routing protocols. Actually a pretty nice one,it was free. The Boson CCNP had alot more valid commands--- you could change the register, acls, go into rommon, although not very functional in rommon mode. This one allows you to have up to 200 objects. you can chose between 47 models of routers, 3 different switches, and pc's. I personally dont feel like configuring 150 routers for fun. In my opinion definately not worth the 500 dollar price tag. If you can get them to give it to you for free, then ok. Also on the cisco one you can have a preconfigured network of 5 routers, or configure them yourself. The only thing is im not sure if you can download the one from cisco. I was in cisco netacad. You can go to their site and try. I have not tried the Boson CCNA one, just the CCNP one. If you want to just do basis config and dont have much money or access to router ever, i would go for semsim first, then maybe upgrade to a different one after you can do all the things on this one. I will tell you however that it is very frustrating when you learn a new command and it wont work on your simulator. VEry irritating. Hope this helped. But everyone has different opinions. merry christmas, later
    lungsucker.jpg