Will be deploying my first RIS server Monday...

MCSAorBUSTMCSAorBUST Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have to image tons of laptops and pc's and I always start from scratch or use Casper imaging software... Why not RIS? So I will incorporate my quest to work smarter and not harder with my current certification quest. Im sure there will be some snags along the way... I have all week (i think) to do it... The network administrator doesn't want it to just sit there, but how can he be mad, he installed ris and for the reboot he turned it off and never back on (3 weeks ago)! It is very hectic in our dept. so I understand. It shouldn't take all day (well maybe, given the current workload), so I'll let you guys know how it goes (pay attention to the time stamps)! Any help along the way will be greatly appreciated...
WIP: Bachelors in IST, MCSA Win2k3

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."

MCSAorBust/MCSA.O.B!

Comments

• phil2006phil2006 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thats great to hear. i wish i had the opportunties at my work to setup a RIS server and deploy xp but we are very small...

does your laptop network card support ris?
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Dido. I too don't use RIS at my company.

Have fun! :D
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like Ghost a lot better than RIS.
    I don't suppose we'll ever see a question on Ghost in the MS exams though. icon_wink.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • MCSAorBUSTMCSAorBUST Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, to answer you guys' question, yes the laptops and desktops I image here have network bootable cards in them. The issue right now though is getting the permissions to install windows components in w2k3 server... So I have to wait a while until the network admin gives me enterprise admin permission. Currently Im remoting into the server via Dameware, and Im sitting here just exploring around (i haven't installed server at home yet). Im bored, so to kill time Im going to switch hard drives with dissimilar computers to get the hal.dll error, and practice using the recovery console repairing it. I would image some computers from scratch but, if i ship them out they wouldnt get there until next week, so... I think I'll go over my notes, and, wait... I give it an hour or two...

MCSAorBust/MCSA.O.B!
  • MCSAorBUSTMCSAorBUST Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i had too much other stuff to do...maybe on a slow day... we were all swamped...

MCSAorBust/MCSA.O.B!