BOOTP?

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
I'm going through a Thompson Q&A 2005 Network+ guide and in Domain 2 there are probably 5 questions regarding BOOTP. I can wiki it and figure out what I need to know I suppose, as it looks like a predesessor of DHCP...

but this is the first mention of it in several guides i've used. Is this Protocol on the exam?

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think as long as you know it is similar in function to DHCP and was originally used for diskless clients to obtain an IP address you'll be good.

Otherwise just check out the info here:
    icon_arrow.gifhttp://www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/networkservices.shtml
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • james_james_ Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I never had a question on Bootp. I would just remember:

Bootp gives you IP, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS and a location of where to download a bootable image for the workstation, ie the name Bootp. RARP is similar to Bootp, but could only request an IP address dynamically.

Only other thing, both Bootp and RARP required each workstation to have a full MAC address table of all PCs on the network, which obvioulsy required more overhead.

Remember those little tid bits, and you should be fine!
  • anthonyzanthonyz Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had this question on the Net+ and all that you had to know is that it was replaced by DHCP no biggy.