Stupid User Quotes

2»

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes.

:)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    avxavx Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    steve-o87 wrote:
    The stupidest for me was:

Home User: I cant connect to the internet from home because the corporate VPN is down.
    Me: Right...You dont have VPN access to us if you dont have a working internet connection.
    Home User: Uhh...Yes, so can you fix it?
    Me: 10 minutes of explaining the basics of a vpn tunnel. icon_rolleyes.gif

I love the way people blame IT even if they had absolutely nothing to do with the problem in the first place. icon_twisted.gif

Man, I can't believe some of this stuff is so universal.

Monday
    User : Yes i'm trying to connect from home, but I cannot access the network

ok that was a problem that was actually on our hands.

Tuesday
    same user

User : Yes, I called yesterday about connecting to the network, but now my wireless network is not working

HelpDesk : is this a XXX-owned PC?

User : NO.

GRRRRRRR!!! Even tho sometimes I do get a kick out of saying "Sorry but since this is not a XXX owned PC, we cannot support this. you may want to call your ISP or Microsoft. and then they carry on about " But I thought you guys were the help desk"

what really kills me tho , is when you get a call from somebody in IT who is actually in a higher position than you, everyday I get tons of calls from programmers, database admins etc.etc. and they are the funniest ones cause either they are really stupid or think they KNOW everything and you'll hear the ( I've been in IT for so & so years ).

I've actually had a Oracle class for 9 months and the teacher was very knowledgable. He knew Unix and Oracle like the back of his hand. The funny thing is we both end up working at the same company and I use to stay getting calls from him on some of the simplest issues that would take no more than 2 minutes to fix. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    avxavx Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    I just gave telephone tech support to a lady who was holding a crying baby. No sh*t. I just had to tell somebody. icon_confused.gif

heh, another similar story

User : Yes I'm trying to connect from home, but it won't let me in

Help Desk : Ok, just for verification can I have your userId and employee #

User : Sorry, I can barely hear you, can you speak up?

( 5 mins or so pass by, now i'm talkin as loud as I can)

User : Sir, you can please speak up or find another phone, you are speaking real low

( gets angry )

Help Desk: I dont think it's the phone, i hear alot of noise in your background, is that a vaccum cleaner?

User : Yes there is, but there are other people in the HOUSE and stuff is going on, and theres nothing I can do about that.

So I though to myself, WTF you want me to do about this.....GRRRR

Heres a recent one

User : Yes we are having problems with our Phone systems, we cannot dial a certain area code, the problem has been going on all day.

Help Desk : Really, for something like this I would of gotten an e-mail about it,and you say it's been happening since this morning? ( current time is 4:40pm and user states it's been happening since 7am )

User : Yes, we've receive an e-mail from Verizon saying they are working on the problem and it's not your guys responsibilty.

Help Desk : really,so let me make sure I have this correct, Verizon told you guys they are working on the issue and we can't touch it even if we wanted to.

User : Yes, but I thought the problem would be resolved by now.

Help Desk : well they are aware of the issue, what would you like us to do?

User : Well I thought maybe you could put in a ticket for it.

Help Desk : uuhhh they are working on the ISSUE, you may want to contact *THEM!!*

User : So theres nothing you can do?

I was so close to hitting the release button.!!

I swear one day I am going to get a call from a user stating

User : Yeah, my car just broke down, can you guys help me out.

LOL.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Anyone else had the:

"While your on the phone my home PC........."

icon_rolleyes.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a guy call about not being able to get online. Basic stuff, until we got to:

Me-Have you tried to reset your router?
    User-No, but I've got it set for cutting some ogees for a chair I'm building. Can I do it later?
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    I once had to change this users password to IFORGET ( she forgets every time I reset it for her )

and she still couldnt remember it within a day or 2.

and yet I get the ranting from her manager complaining she cant pick up her emails and her 'pc never works'

icon_rolleyes.gif

( ps anyone know a tatoo'er so I can get this tatooed on her forhead the silly cow icon_twisted.gif )
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    pps - I dont have anything against users who dont know things and ask you or have a genuine problem. I am quite happy to spend 30-60 mins on the phone taking someone through a problem. Hell, Im not bill gates and know it all, we all need help. I dont know everything.

BUT SHEER LAZINESS AND/OR NO COMMON SENSE OR JUST BLAMING THE TECH ( SOMETIMES TO COVER THEIR OWN ASSES ) GETS ME ANGRY.

ppps - HOW COME A USERS ISSUE IS REALLY URGENT WHEN THEYVE LEFT IT FOR WEEKS ( before coming to you and expecting it sorted for tomorrow's deadline??? )

/rant over - happy new year :D
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate when people call you for no reason but to grip about something not working properly, generally asking if you can fix their broken computer or recover some missing data. Something that I could easily do within a day or so, but the user feels that it would be a waste of time and changes his/her mind.

I even had a customer who came to me 6-8 months after I had worked on her computer and asked if I could undo the work so she could get her money back, for one reason or another. w...t...f... <_< I then found out that she knew how to fix the computer herself now. I generally don't like to call people idiots since people aren't expected to know how to operate computers(unless they work in IT), but this lady was a real idiot.

When I was in college, I knew students who had taken computer repair classes and didn't know how to install an audio card/drivers. I also had a Cisco teacher who knew everything about networks, but not a single thing about repairing a PC. :)

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680