Test lab at home

5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm currently studying 70-270 ... I've had 10 months experence in the field so far so setting it up will be a breeze..
Just wanted your thoughts on setting up a test lab at home for MCSE.
All I have so far is a single 2003 server (Not sure if i should be installing SBS2003 or just 2003Server?) and a single machine to build xp on etc.. anything else you would reccomend adding to this? ( I allso have 3 PC's connected to the network.. but wont be used for testing)

Any comments would be great...
Thanks,

-Chapt3r
Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
-J.R.Purser

Comments

• Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    The server should work fine, though most of your questions are going to be based on desktop issues. I would get another machine, or load VirtualPC on one of your XP's, so you don't have to muck up the configurations.

Personally, I have a seperate lab (2 machines, 1 server). All on their own lan.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I got through 70-270 without a lab server, but it would have been nice at times. I'm studying for 70-290 now with one domain controller and an XP client, so I would think that would be sufficient for 70-270 as well.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Do not use small business server for these tests, save for the SBS test itself. SBS has a few quirks that will give you issues when you're getting along in 70-290 and 70-291. There are a couple of threads that note some examples, one I can give you is that SBS can be the first and only DC in a domain, otherwise the DC Promo will barf on you. Go with any edition of Windows 2003 Server, and you'll be fine.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • 5no-yt5no-yt Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats great, Cheers for your help guys.
    Security is like exercise: everyone talks about it, but not many people do it.
    -J.R.Purser
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am using for my 70-270 only VMware. I have 4 guest machines: Win XP pro, win 2K( for unattended installations and upgrades) and a clone of each OS.