Need Help ASAP

win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
Hello all,
I need to find a good network cable tester, the important thing i'm looking for is that it has abillity to detect what speed its recieveinng. Other things like shorts, opens, crosses are okay. Anything $200 or less would be great. I cant find anything like this so far that detects what speed network cables are getting? It has to be from a credible online store, thanks much for your help.

Comments

• forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    It ain't less than $200, but it will do what you want it to do:

Here on ebay

Technical details for this are HERE

If you don't trust ebay you can get it an CDW for about $475. Good luck finding anything decent for less than $200.....
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree with forbsel. Wished I had known they were on ebay $300 delivered is a good deal. The fluke reputation is the best there is. I have a 20 year old fluke digital that is still functioning. They may still have the free belt clip case when you register the product.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Does that thing tell you exactly what speed the cables are running on?
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Im sure you already know this but just in case:

Just because you have a cable capable of 100mb does not mean that your network will function at that speed. There are other peices to the puzzle. For example if your NIC's or your switch/hub can only support 10mb then you are reduced down to that speed.
  • HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    Im sure you already know this but just in case:

Just because you have a cable capable of 100mb does not mean that your network will function at that speed. There are other peices to the puzzle. For example if your NIC's or your switch/hub can only support 10mb then you are reduced down to that speed.

Well thats the obvious, but there are less obvious things like crosstalk and interference from noise and light.
    Now working full time!
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hmm, seems few checked forbesl's links I guess. Straight from the sales propoganda....
    LinkRunner helps you answer questions like:
    • Is this an active Ethernet port?
    • What speed/duplex is the hub/switch/PC NIC configured for?
    • Am I seeing traffic from this
    connection?
    • Is the PC NIC okay?
    • Where does the cable go?
    • Am I connected to the Internet?
    There is also a nice 6 page troubleshooting app note PDF here without the word tags so it is recognized by one and all as a link

http://www.flukenetworks.com/FNet/en-us/findit?Document=2127517
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO