Options

Newbie - Need help for 70-291

Dev13Dev13 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all , great forum.

I am thinking of taking 70-291 exam. Have some experience with Win2003 environment. Basic understanding of networking.
Also, i don't have any prior certification. So, What do you experts suggest. Is it not a wise move. Should i take 70-290 first ?
Thinking of buying CBT nuggets and Sybax book.
Please advice?

Comments

• Options
    BF2MadBF2Mad Member Posts: 171
    CBT Nuggets is great for 291, but still (depending on your experience) I would start off with 290 or even 270.

What is your goal? are you just wanting an MCP or do you want to go for a MCSA or MCSE.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel it's safe to assume he's going for more than 270 since he asked if he should start with 290 or 270. Here are my 2 cents.

My advise is to start with 70-270. This will allow you to become more familiar with the Operating System. It would teach you topics such as RIS (which is going to be replaced by Windows Deployment Services, Encrypted File System, Compression, Security Authentication protocols, NTFS/Share permissions, user profiles, unattended installations, and much more.

Learning 270 first will definitely help you when you go to do 290 where you learn topics such as Domain Controllers (only briefly - more on this in 294), Terminal Services, fsutil, Software Raid Arrays, Disk Partitioning (using the Logical Disk Manager through both the GUI and the command line "diskpart,") and more.

Now you have your feet wet in both client operating systems and you have been introduced to the Windows Server Operating System. Now you are on your way to the MCSA/E "Beast" which is known to be the most difficult exam. You will learn many topics such as Domain Name System, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, IPSEC, Routing and Remote Access, and more!

You will then need to do an elective exam for your MCSA. There are many options to choose from. If you want to go into security, Comptia Security+ can be your elective. Also, A+ and Network+ combined can be your elective. 70-284 (Administering Exchange 2003) can also be your elective which will give you both MCSA and MCSA:Messaging.

Then if you want to finish your MCSE, you should do 70-293, 70-294, and finally 70-297.

In short, the majority of people do their MCSA in the following order:
    70-270
    70-290
    70-291
    Elective
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297

Since I am going for my MCSE, I didn't do the elective after 70-291 and am currently doing my Exchange Elective after my 70-297. This is because 70-293 talks a lot about clustering and certificates which the Exchange exam also discusses briefly. I figured it would be better long-term if I had a much thorough understanding of certificates and clustering if I did the 70-293 before my Exchange exam.

Hope this helps...
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    Acutually, at this point i am not looking to do MCSE. But, i know Windows 2003 is in good demand. Our company just upgraded to it and is short of people with knowledge of 2003 . So, i am looking to get a better job.

What i am interested in knowing is that is it possbile to complete 291 w/o doing 270 & 290. I am willing to work hard because i think in the field no body cares much about 270 and 290, though they are also hard and important. 291 is more rewarding if you want a better job. Just my thought..may be i am wrong.
  • Options
    Not doing 270 and 290 won't have much of an impact on your ability to do 291. It does help a bit, but not a whole lot.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Dev13 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.
    Acutually, at this point i am not looking to do MCSE. But, i know Windows 2003 is in good demand. Our company just upgraded to it and is short of people with knowledge of 2003 . So, i am looking to get a better job.

What i am interested in knowing is that is it possbile to complete 291 w/o doing 270 & 290. I am willing to work hard because i think in the field no body cares much about 270 and 290, though they are also hard and important. 291 is more rewarding if you want a better job. Just my thought..may be i am wrong.

Actually, if you're looking for recognition in the field, you'll need to take the full MCSA or MCSE. Most people who aren't studying for Microsoft exams won't know what 70-291 is, and all they really care about is seeing the magic acronyms on your resume, (i.e. "MCSA/MCSE", "CCNA/CCNP/CCIE", "CISSP", "RHCE", etc). All you'll get for doing 70-291 is the same you'll get for completing any Microsoft exam, you'll be an MCP. Most people who do know what 70-291 is won't really care about your certs as much as they'll care about your experience and your ability to actually do the work.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Dev13 wrote:

it is possible in the sense that it isnt disallowed. But please see:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18972

I have tried, and I couldnt do it...unless if you have extensive knowledge with MS NT Networking, particularly Active Directory w/ DNS services, 291 will be very tough.

I built three small (<10 nodes) win2k3 networks from scratch with various configs (NAT, VPN, etc..), used 3 books, passed 290 first before I could get 291. If I were to choose again, I would have taken 270 first. But 290 was doable as first rounder's up if you have good background with using windows xp professionally (not just as a pc, but as a workstation)

good luck, I had just gone through all of these, so feel free to ask me questions, I'll help as much as I can.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Ok, guys i got it. I am going to start with 70-270 first. Though XP won't help me much but from what i am hearing i got to do it first.
    Thanks for your valuable suggestions.
    Any suggestions for books/study materials. Anywhere i can get CBT nuggests may be used ?
  • Options
    CBT Nuggets licenses disallows transfership of materials. I would suggest going to their website and purchasing the material there. As for other study materials, this is the material I used and found good.

70-270 - I believe I used MSPress. I did my 70-270 in 2003 and stopped with certifications there. I picked up on the rest of the MCSA/MCSE stuff in 2006.
    70-290 - MSPress (Did a pretty good job although the WMI section is horrible)
    70-291 - MSPress (Syngress did a much better job on the IPSEC section)
    70-293 - DO NOT use MSPress. Get Syngress.
    70-294 - MSPress
    70-297 - Sybex
    70-284 (Exchange) - Sybex and Exam Cram 2 for review.

Good luck