70-220 or 70-221

kavadarcikavadarci Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I wonder if someone can give some suggestions on these two exams.
I'm not sure which one to take.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• kavadarcikavadarci Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey folks,

What kind of forum is this if no one replies?

I've posted the same question in the 70-216 forum with zilch results.

Good luck
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm sorry mate, I somehow missed your post...

Your question is actually a hard one for someone else to answer...

But, assuming you already took the 70-216 exam, the 221 might be a bit easier than the 220. Which exams have you passed already? Are you going for MCSE: Security?
    Hi,

I have security + so I'm comfortable with security and why not have the MCSE: security. I know that my question is kind of generic but any input on the differences between the two would be great.
    [

Thank you
    I assume you found these two pages already, nut going to include them nevertheless:

icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/traincert/exams/70-221.asp

icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/traincert/exams/70-220.asp

The difference is, of course, that the 220 exam focusses on Security. Which one you want to take should depend on several factors:

- Which topic do you like more? (MS) Networking or Security.
    - How is the demand in your area for both these topics.
    - MCSE: Security. Indeed why not... but will you actually use it anytime soon? Personally I would go for the MCSE: security if I would be so close... Which MS exams have you passed so far?

It seems to me first 221 and then 220 is a good path. :)
    Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have 70-210,215,216,218 and security +.
    If I take 70-217 and 70-220 that will give me MCSE in W2K. I will need to take one more 70-214 for MCSE:Security. If I take 70-221 I'm not close to security. That is the only reason why I wanted to know if 220 is more difficult than 221 or vice versa.

Regards,
    icon_confused.gif I didn't knew 70-218 is an elective in the MCSE track...
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    It isn't. He probably did what I did and wanted to get MCSA along the way. Also, I don't mean to burst your bubble, kavadarci, but until you pass 70-214, you do not have MCSA:Security. Security+ is only a substitute for 70-227. Someone on this forum already ran across this problem. I would just be careful not to put it on your resume when you don't actually have it. Employers don't like lying whether you meant to or not. :D

Cheeblie
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    icon_confused.gif I didn't knew 70-218 is an elective in the MCSE track...

70-218 is an elective for the MCSE 2000
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcse/requirements.asp
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Yeah, I found out yesterday... I didn't knew icon_wink.gif

I think it is ridiculous though... there is nothing in the 70-218 exam that is already covered in the four core MCSE exams...
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    :D I was trying to reply to you and Cheeblie, but I was to lazy to quote both of you.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    First of all, thank you for your replies. Now we are talking.
    I fixed the signature and I have clear idea that to get the :Security thing after the MCSA or MCSE you have to have 70-214.

Now, I guess we all agree if I say that to get MCSE:Security in W2K on top of the ones that I have I need to get 70-217, 70-220 and 70-214.

I will go for 70-217 next saturday(I'm ready) and I will take 70-220 just to be done with MCSE.

Security is very important for my company(any company) and I think that will be a good thing to have it.

Thanks again