Options

Which Online university to choose?

2»

Comments

• Options
    A-MartA-Mart Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So anyone here had success with their degree that was earned online?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How much are Ivy League Masters programmes? Do they do distance PhD's? Do they really offer superior teaching in our fields as opposed to the other institutions or are their offerings less good and more expensive because of the aegis these places carry?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    A-Mart wrote:
    The most immediate sign of success is with people who are already employed and need the degree to get a promotion. One of my fellow graduating students was bragging that when he had his proof of graduation, he would be getting a promotion to a management position with a higher salary, a cash reward for earning the degree, and 10K company stock options. Must be nice!
    Turgon wrote:
    How much are Ivy League Masters programmes?
    Ivy League? There are only a few of these schools. I know Cornell has a distance learning program, but I'm not sure about the others. I assume they'd be more expensive than the average DL program because of the name of the school. And many DL schools also offer a Ph.D., but in a limited number of fields (e.g., education, psychology, business), and gathering in-person for practicums is still necessary.
  • Options
    oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote:
    How much are Ivy League Masters programmes? Do they do distance PhD's? Do they really offer superior teaching in our fields as opposed to the other institutions or are their offerings less good and more expensive because of the aegis these places carry?
    Harvard University through Harvard Extension school has various associate's, bachelor's, and master's degrees that can be earned partially online. The ALM - Arts Liberal Masters - via Harvard requires at least one semester on campus. Two graduate certificates - Applied Science (Computer Science and CIS) and Environment Science are available fully online from Harvard.

Columbia University offers various engineering graduate degrees "online". Teachers College, Columbia University - a somewhat seperate entity from CU - has one master's and a couple certificates online.

Online PhD from certain schools are out there, but also require residency. Dakota State University has an online Doctor of Science (DSc) program in Information Systems. Texas Tech University offers a PhD in Rhetoric and Technical Communications. A two-week residency is required every summer.

Mississippi State has a PhD in Engineering with Industrial Engineering focus that can be earned through distance learning. A consortium of schools (Indiana State, East Carolina, Central Missouri, and a few others) jointly offer a Doctor of Technology that's mostly online. Valdosta State teaches a Doctor of Public Administration online. The program requires a one-weekend residency per semester. Tuition for this degree costs less than $10,000.

University of Missori offers a PhD in Human Environmental Sciences with a focus on Architectural Studies that can be earned through distance learning. I'm unsure about residency.

University of Maryland-University College and George Fox University also teach doctoral degrees through distance learning. Residency requirements vary.

It's important to remember that PhD degrees are intended for a campus environment. Research and teaching represent important skills for doctoral students.
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    A-Mart wrote:

i attended AIU online and got my BIT in network administration. I am currently a contrator making 70k plus and just put in for a GS-12 position. i have about 6 years experience and obtained my bachelors while i was in the air force up at Elmendorf, Alaska. It was a good experience and the programming/database classes were pretty hard (not a programmer). I am probably going to attend Webster University and get my Masters of Art in Information Technology Management since the GS-12 position i applied for is a mid-level management position. We'll see what happens. I am 27 years old and I feel like i should pursue my education while I am young and can retain information pretty well icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    A-MartA-Mart Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNPWANABE your da man. See its not the degree that counts but what you do with it and who you are.

I also plan on joining the military, either air force or navy after Im done with my associate degree. I didnt know if it was possible to complete your degree while enlisted but Im gald to see it can be done. I wonder how a skinny timid nerd will do in the military. Pray to God I wont be station anywhere like Alaska!
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    A-Mart wrote:
    CCNPWANABE your da man. See its not the degree that counts but what you do with it and who you are.

I also plan on joining the military, either air force or navy after Im done with my associate degree. I didnt know if it was possible to complete your degree while enlisted but Im gald to see it can be done. I wonder how a skinny timid nerd will do in the military. Pray to God I wont be station anywhere like Alaska!

You won't be skinny when you get out of basic thats for sure.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    A-Mart wrote:

Some advice if I may (I did 3 yrs. Navy and 2 yrs. in the Army as an Infantryman). Learn to Run now. The only "skinny nerd" we had in navy boot couldn't pass his final PFT. We all graduated and he was still being rolled back because of succesive PFT failures.

Mind you, the PFT in the Navy calls for 1.5 mile run. Thats it. I don't know about the chAir Force, I think they ride bikes or something. icon_twisted.gif
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    phantasm wrote:
    I don't know about the chAir Force, I think they ride bikes or something.

I didn't think the Air Force did PT icon_lol.gif

Go Army!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    Once you get into IT the other thing you need to do is run between crashing servers right?
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    A-mart wrote:

Even for someone who is completely out of shape it should not take long to develop the endurance needed. I would highly recommend training now though rather than waiting.

I would be more worried about the timid part if I were you. There are far worse places than Alaska you could be; watch how you word those prayer requests :D .

phantasm wrote:
    Mind you, the PFT in the Navy calls for 1.5 mile run. Thats it. I don't know about the chAir Force, I think they ride bikes or something.

You better watch it, there are some very resourceful people on these boards and the Air Force guys are probably tracking you down already icon_lol.gif .
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    A-Mart wrote:

thanks for the compliment icon_lol.gif don't worry about the military. It's not all that bad. I worked with many "skinny timid" nerd types who made it through just fine. And if you go into the air force you will do pt, but the majority of the training will be focused on your mind, not your pt skills. Just be able to run 2 miles, do pushups and situps and you'll be good to go. I was a P.T. Monitor in the air force and when i was in (2 yrs ago) our pt tests were a 1.5 mile timed run, pushups and situps, and a measurement of your waist. you got a certain amount of points for each area. and the cutoff was pretty low so if you were anywhere near good shape you will be ok. if you have any other questions about the military or the air force feel free to ask me. I don't mind helping you out because i remember when i was in the same boat you are currently in icon_cool.gif take it easy.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Hey, join the National Guard to pay off your grad school loans! icon_wink.gif

And speaking of grad school: What’s the right timing for graduate school?
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am currently finishing my Bachelors online at Mt. Sierra College, I just recently got a NOC Tech job making $56k a year.

WOOT
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I am also taking a look at WGU right now. Can any of the contributors to this thread that were thinking about attending or currently attending add some updated insight into their IT program?
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I'm surprised no one mentioned UAT in Tempe, AZ. I'm doing the BS in Nrtwoek Security now. It seems reasonably priced, they are accredited, and I got a good bit of credits for my current certifications. UAT dot edu. They have a good game design and development program too.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    moss12 wrote:
    Whats the difference between online university and public university ?

Quality.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    moss12 wrote:
    Whats the difference between online university and public university ?

Quality.

SC

We get it, you don't like online degrees.

I strongly disagree with your views on B&M courses/schools having a much higher quality than online ones. I am sitting in a B&M class right now that 20/20 of the students have a browser up of something irrelevant to the lecture that is taking place. Including me. I believe that there are poor B&M and poor online schools out there and it is mainly up to the student themselves to get something out of it. I really have a hard time believing that if this course was offered online the students within would get less out of it than they are right now.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    phantasm wrote:
    I don't know about the chAir Force, I think they ride bikes or something.

I didn't think the Air Force did PT icon_lol.gif

Go Army!

Hooah!

You won't be skinny anymore joining the AirForce...that's for sure. You might gain a few pounds due to the inactivity or bicycle strolls. Not to knock the Navy, but they are known for the heavy weighters too. Navy food was the best when I was stationed on a Naval Base!! 200 times better than Army mess halls.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)