Options

Preparing for 291

Passed 290 last week. Now I'm getting ready for the 291.

Syngress Book
Testout
O'Reilly MCSE Core Exams in a Nutshell
Practice lab

and 6 weeks, evenings and weekends (should be enough time right?)

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing 70-290.
    Syngress Book
    Testout
    O'Reilly MCSE Core Exams in a Nutshell
    Practice lab

and 6 weeks, evenings and weekends (should be enough time right?)

Only you can answer that question. I would recommend getting a copy of the 70-291 Microsoft Press book, with that and setting up a lab with Windows Server 2003 and XP Pro (by using spare PC's or Virtual PC), along with a good amount of studying it can be done.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    dmwdmw Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Testout is good but you will need atleast another book maybe 2 because Testout leaves out alot as well I have been using the Syngress mostly and have used the MS Press a little. There is no substitute for a lab. I have 2 servers and 2 workstations, 1 server and 1 workstation are virtual. I usually run 2 computers at once plus a 3rd virtual machine on one of the computers. Also helps to be able to test RRAS from outside your home lan.
    Rebooting computers since 1999
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    Yeah testout is great! I will supplement it with my Syngress book, and Orielly MCSE Core book.

I have a virtual lab setup, 1 server and 1 workstation, soon to be 2 servers.
  • Options
    I'm going through all this testout stuff, and so far I'm really enjoying the 70-291 lessons.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I used TestOut when I took 70-291, and I really enjoyed it. In fact, the first time around I'd only used TestOut, and I scored in the 680's. After that, I read through the MS Press book, and nailed it. (Given, I'd done some hands-on stuff at my school, in both classes and helping the IT department rework their domains.) I definately recommend TestOut, along with something like the MS Press book, as well as CBT Nuggets as a review and overview.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    I used TestOut when I took 70-291, and I really enjoyed it. In fact, the first time around I'd only used TestOut, and I scored in the 680's. After that, I read through the MS Press book, and nailed it. (Given, I'd done some hands-on stuff at my school, in both classes and helping the IT department rework their domains.) I definitely recommend TestOut, along with something like the MS Press book, as well as CBT Nuggets as a review and overview.

That's pretty impressive! How long did it take you to prepare for the exam overall?

I'm giving myself 6 weeks, hopefully that will be enough!