Options

What is the better study guide Sybex or the CWNA Self-Study?

wolfgang73wolfgang73 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
People what do you think would be better to prepare for the PW0-100 exam
the Sybex book or the CWNA Self-Study book... the one the CWNP website want to sell you?

The last book I read was from 2002 and was too out dated for the exam, but I got it for free.

I'm not going to make that mistake again.

Please any input would be appreciated.

Regards,

MS
"The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess. But, he's pretty sure you're fu**ed."

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    The CWNA Study Guide (3rd ed.) on the CWNP web site is the "official" book for the CWNA exam. The Sybex book is also an excellent source of information that is covered by the CWNA exam. Ideally, you would use both books from which to study, along with the practice exams and performing your own hands-on wireless network lab experiments. However, if you already have a lot of experience with a wide variety of wireless networking equipment and configurations, either book should do.

If I had to pick only one book I'd stick with the "official" exam guide. However, the more information resources you use the greater your chances of passing the exam.
  • Options
    wolfgang73wolfgang73 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks JD,

I ordered the official 3rd ed. book through their $185 package deal.
    Also I have the PDF of the Sybex.
    I just hope that the changes they made are not to radical from the book.
    They stated that they are not going to put out a 4rth edition based on the update. But they have the newest changes posted on there site.

the 2002 ed vs 3rd ed is like night and day.

Its incredible how much they updated this test.

But I find the material very interesting.

I was installing 2 way wireless for Sprint (BWG) back in 2000 in Detroit. Thats when my curiosity was aroused regarding 802.11. I lost my job when they closed the dept due to poor LOS... That wasn't the problem... It was the poor Technicians. icon_idea.gif

Thanks again

MS
    "The Lord tells me he can get me out of this mess. But, he's pretty sure you're fu**ed."
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    wolfgang73 wrote:
    I just hope that the changes they made are not to radical from the book. They stated that they are not going to put out a 4rth edition based on the update. But they have the newest changes posted on there site.
    The latest changes to the CWNA exam aren't nearly extensive enough to warrant a new edition of the study guide. You shouldn't have a problem integrating the new material in with the guide.

Post any 802.11 questions you may have to this forum. :)