Create boot floppy with tcp/ip support??

hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know how to create one? I'm not talking about the ris bootable floppies available through the server. I'm trying to get to a command prompt and then be able to attempt a manual installation from a server. Looking for something on the internet. Haven't had any luck in finding something that works properly yet.

I've already created a ris floppy and that seems to be working fine. OS is loading as I type. But that's not what I'm trying to accomplish at this point.

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but www.bootdisk.com may be a good place to start. Can it be a CD instead of a floppy? You may want to check out BartPE at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    Can it be a CD instead of a floppy?

Yes it could be a cd, but I think the process would be the same as using a floppy.

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. Second one looks like a potential solution.
  • hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Problem is solved for Virtual PC.

1. Needed a boot with fdisk
    2. Used fdisk and formated virtual drive (forgot about this, it's been a long time since I worked with dos)
    3. Rebooted with a network aware bootable floppy image
    4. Mapped drive
    5. Went to mapped drive
    6. Used winnt and XP started loading (no time left to see if it finished. Will check out another day).

Took forever to figure out this issue.
  • oldbarneyoldbarney Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:
    I am not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but www.bootdisk.com may be a good place to start. Can it be a CD instead of a floppy? You may want to check out BartPE at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    I use BartPE extensively at work for installing ghost images off a network share on to new drives, ghosting drives and even occasional file recovery. Once had an HDD in a laptop that teetered on the brink of failure. Was unable to read it slaved to a system with an an IDE adapter. Also unreadable using a USB-to-IDE adapter.

First booted with Knoppix, could see the data, and copy some but not all. Then booted with BartPE and recovered all the data.

A great tool for various situations.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OldBarney can you please specify the utility you used to image the disk and how you made it?

The fact is that I find a tool named "disk snapshot" on BartPE menus. But I did not understand how to effectively make the image. Should I insert an external disk or image the disk on a shared disk?