Options

need help deciding

keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
i have a compaq armada e500 with 384mb ram, 20gb hdd and has the first 1ghz cpu.

trying to decide if its worth 150 to get some "technology updates- DVD/RW, LCD screen ( which prompted me b/c it needs repair) , larger hdd" on my laptop or just buy a new one?

This is the only laptop i own and started me into the Cisco field many years ago, so it has some value to me
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I say invest in a new one - that could be the first of many things to start going out if it is old.........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would invest in a new one also
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thx for the responses. my main consideration also is that i'm on a debit reduction plan and don't want to spend $500- 1000 on a laptop when i can eliminate a bill. where as i'll be getting reimbursed for a test that could pay for the parts
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You can a pretty good deal at some online stores for laptops, some under $500. I don't know if they'll have what you need, but if you don't find anything, I would replace only what you need to save money. Compare how much both would cost, and go for the cheapest way to achieve what you need....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can generally get an 80GB hard drive for around $60, and most DVD-RW drives I've come across lately were around $70s-range...which is probably a bit much. Not sure about where you live, but Orlando in my area has a computer market every month or so where they sell tons of cheap useable parts.

LCD screens are always expensive...if it's cracked or you can't use it, then definately replace it. LCDs generally make up much of the cost when you buy a laptop.

I wouldn't bother with a bigger hard drive, since the 20GB sounds fine...unless you seriously have a ton of junk to throw on it. :)
    (assuming you just want the laptop for work?)

An external DVD drive might work(extra luggage though), since you'd be able to use it on other machines. Best to think about how you'll use these devices after scrapping the laptop one day.

Cheap laptop cost around $400-500 where I live, barebone laptops with P4 processors and decently sized HDDs. It's still a lot of money.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    keenon wrote:
    thx for the responses. my main consideration also is that i'm on a debit reduction plan and don't want to spend $500- 1000 on a laptop when i can eliminate a bill. where as i'll be getting reimbursed for a test that could pay for the parts

Ahhh.... the "Dave Ramsey Plan" possibly? :) Good for you even if it is not!

Save your money and get as little as 'needed' to do what you must do? While I'd also agree to go for the new one....I understand the debt reduction and highly encourage others to focus on realistic goals and not go deeper into debt just to look/feel cool for today.

Take care on used laptops. Some can be deals and others .....well ....take a look at how your friends/family or clients handle their laptops. Some people beat them up. Others treat them like a valuable tool. Similar to a used car, but a laptop breaks a lot easier then a car ;)

Maybe you can 'upgrade' to a slightly newer model, but I'd probalby try to upgrade my parts and keep using the beast as I knew it's quirks and wouldn't have to worry about what might be next...I'd probably know.

Take care as Batteries add up quickly, replacement AC adapters or the AC port on the mainboard could start to loosen overtime and might need a quick solder....otherwise, short of dropping your laptop...a HDD and DVD should be inexpensive enough to get you through :) Good luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I say purchase a new one. You can find them nowadays at places like Best Buy or Circuit Shitty on sale for $350-600. My way of thinking is that you are going to spend a little less now but how will your machine hold up a year from now? Will you have to spend another $150+ to repair something else that wears out? I'd say go ahead and spend a little more now, get that all important warranty, and then you are covered for another few years.