INTRO exam

ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone taken the INTRO exam yet?
Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I've scheduled the beta for Oct 23th. Just want to check it out to see how easy/difficult it is. I suspect I can port dozens of questions from our Network+ material to practice exams for the CCNA intro exam. I started writing on some some new questions a couple of days ago, which I will put online soon. I'll post a short review of the exam in about 3 weeks.
  • Options
    I'm reading through the Cisco Press INTRO book now. I'm not very far, but it is talking a lot about the DOD model. that is review for me from the NT 4.0 TCP/IP exam, but the Net+ exam did not cover it.
    Andy

• Options
    The thing that bothers me most are how the new exam objectives are worded. It makes it harder for people like me to write technotes or practice exams based on that information, it's simply not specific enough. I expected DOD to be part of it, but it isn't mentioned in the exam objectives either, I written a small piece about it in the OSI model TechNotes...

I took the same TCP/IP exam a long time ago and I assume you took the Network Essentials as well... why did you take the net+ exam? Anyway, besides a some basics about router configuration, the INTRO exam should be a piece of cake for you.
  • Options
    As i'm reading through the book, do you want me to post on the topics it is discussing? I won't post any details just the topics.

i have also taken the Net Essentials. When MS was going to retire the MCSE 4.0, I decided to pursue some certs that wouldn't retire, so I started studying for the Net+. Before I could take the test, MS back tracked. A while after that, I was training someone in my office on basic networking and using a Net+ book, so I decided to take the test since I had put so much time into it already. If I would have known that the INTRO exam was coming out, I just would have waited and taken it instead. I haven't decided if I am going to take the INTRO/ICND path or just the CCNA.
    Andy

• Options
    ajs1976 wrote:
    As i'm reading through the book, do you want me to post on the topics it is discussing? I won't post any details just the topics.
    I've been thinking about going to a local bookstore to see what the intro books cover by reading the index for example... so yes, that would be much appreciated. :)
    I haven't decided if I am going to take the INTRO/ICND path or just the CCNA.
    Since the beta INTRO exam ($50) is still available untill November 30th, and you have most of the exam already covered by your current certs, I'd suggest the 2 exam route, the ICND is $100 so together you'll only spend $25 bucks extra for these two exams compared to the 801 exam that costs $125.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    ajs1976 wrote:
    I've been thinking about going to a local bookstore to see what the intro books cover by reading the index for example... so yes, that would be much appreciated. :)
    I haven't decided if I am going to take the INTRO/ICND path or just the CCNA.
    Since the beta INTRO exam ($50) is still available untill November 30th, and you have most of the exam already covered by your current certs, I'd suggest the 2 exam route, the ICND is $100 so together you'll only spend $25 bucks extra for these two exams compared to the 801 exam that costs $125.

Good point. I didn't realize it was going to be in beta for that much longer.

Cisco INTRO book:

chapter 1: what is a network. stated that there wouldn't be anything on the exam from that chapter. It was for people that are at the very beginning.

chapter 2: OSI layers and definition of OSI model and each layer. DOD model, definitions of model and layers. Data encapsulation. Frame. Segment. Packet. Header / Trailer.
    Andy

• Options
    Chapter 2 also included: Same-layer interaction vs. Adacent-layer interaction, benefits of having the OSI model

very basic definitions/explanatios for chapter 2
    Andy

• Options
    Chapter 3: More details on OSI layers 1 and 2. straight-through and cross-over cables. Functions of layer 2. CSMA/CD. MAC address. parts of a Mac address. Ethernet standards. 10Base2, 10Base5, 10BaseT. Repeaters. Hubs. Trunk. Collisons, full-/half-duplex. Switches. Ethernet Framing.

Chapter 4: WANS. CSU/DSU. CO. demarc. CPE. PPP & HDLC. RJ-48. DTE & DCE. clocking. T1, T3, etc. Synchornous. Sonet. ATM. Frame Relay. PVCs.

Still no mention of commands. chapters 1-6 are general networking.
    Andy

• Options
    Thanks for your help. I noticed though, that I can check the table of contents, as well as the index of the study guides for both CCNA exams, which gives me an excellent overview of what is on the INTRO and what belongs to ICND. To publish something more often, I'm going to chop it into little pieces. Currently working on TechNotes about just 'CDP'... (uhm... that would eb for the intro exam ;))