Options

Question on PCI Communications Device

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
I upgraded my neighboors computer from Windows 98SE to Windows 2000 and the only device that is showing not properly installed is PCI Communications. Is this for a modem, or is sit for something else. I did this work becuase they could not access their Netgear Wireless Router with the USb wireless adapter installed on this particular PC. Even though the Netgear wireless adapter said it was compatible with Windows 98SE, I couldn't get the connection to consistantly work. I even called Netgear support and they were usless. First then walked me through eveything I did, then asked me what the processor was, and I informed him 733mhz, he then after saying it was compatible with 98SE, that you need a P4 processor. How could that be when I was able to connect every once and a while. Any suggestions on what I should do with this PCI Communications???????Thanks
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    99 percent of the time it is a modem. None of the installs pick these things up. If you have the motherboard CD then it may be on there. Otherwise pop the case off and find out what chip they are using. A Google search on the chip number will usually steer you to a driver.

Since this is Win 2000 and not XP and on board NIC might also give the message. If the NIC is not working and you have no motherboard CD then head to the motherboard manufacturer and get the driver for it. XP normally finds most NIC's itself.

edit: On the wireless force a channel change. If there is a 2.4GHz walk around telephone in the area they can give you endless grief. If it is a desktop make sure the back of the system is not near a CRT or AD/DC power blocks if you are using a short antenna.

edit #2: Win 2000 and USB eh. You do have SP4 installed right? If not you may have random problems with some USB's devices disappearing if you have more than one device.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's probably a modem.

You ought to be able to go the the computer manufacturer's website and download Win2000 drivers for that model of computer.

Are you saying the Wireless is working now that you installed 2000?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...