Options

Security+ questions

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi there,

Well next year I plan on at least doing my MSCA 2003. Ive noticed that you can do S+ as an elective if chosen. One day I would like to take a look at more advanced security subjects/certs but im wondering is S+ a good start for all this?

I checked the comptia website and couldnt see any prerequisite for the S+ exam and I do have a couple of years network experience and a recent ccna pass. So, should that be enough to understand the topics in the exam?

Ive ordered the sybex Security+ 3rd eidition to have something to read while on the commute to and from work. I understand I probably wan't to pick up one or two other books as good practice (looking at the other threads in this forum).

Hopefully my new place of work will pay for my certs should I pass them, but they will be self study only for now, so I guess i need the right materials and some good advice. So to summarize my questions:

Do I have the right starting knowledge to at least pick up on the subjects covered? Is it a good cert to obtain on the way to further security subjects? And most importantly will I be kept interested in the material learnt?....I know this is a bad question but please try and sell the subjects to me :p

Thanks

edit: btw i have looked at the exam objectives but im wondering how in depth they go also? I mean is there any practical hands on with the concepts or is it more of a broad knowledge of many things?
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    As I remember, the subject matter for Security+ that I studied prepares you to be examined about your knowledge on preventing the loss of data integrity. Whether that be loss of data in some way, theft of it, or corruption of it, you will be tested on physical and logical methods of detecting attempts and preventing intrusion.

Also, testing is done concerning the protection of networks from outside attacks by hackers/crackers involved in malicious acts and inside compromise by valid users.

That is what I remember. I have yet to retake the exam.

With your experience and the CCNA, I think that you would be a prime candidate for Security+.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    The scope of the Security+ exam is very broad and mostly conceptual in nature. It covers a lot of ground but not terribly deep on any one subject. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    Brilliant fellas cheers.

Btw can i go wrong with the cbt nuggets also? I mean Ive used them before and they are good for me.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Comptia recommends having taken network+ before you take the security+ because of all the networking terminology and so forth that you will need to know. Having taken your ccna though you should be more than ready to hop on the sec+ bandwagon.
  • Options
    darreng1973darreng1973 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi
    secuirt+ question pool has been updtaed to include phishing and pharming just to name a few.

sybex 3rd ed doe metion phishing in a small parargraph
  • Options
    JaneSaysJaneSays Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed Security+ exam first time with a score of 797!! Thinking of taking CCNA next. Any suggestions?
    Passed on first try today with a 797! I'm so glad it's over.
  • Options
    JaneSays wrote:
    Passed Security+ exam first time with a score of 797!! Thinking of taking CCNA next. Any suggestions?

Do it, its a fantastic way to get into interior gateway routing, switching and the cisco way of thing's. I have studied for other exams, even exams that I havent taken yet, and so far my cisco learnign experience has been the most fun.
  • Options
    CrashLadyCrashLady Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey all :D
    I am currently studying for the Sec+ exam. I'm using Thomson books 2nd Ed. I understand that they may change the test? Does anyone know about this? Also,is there any other texts that someone might recommend because the practice tests on this and other websites ARE NOTHING like the the practice test with my book? Thanks!
  • Options
    nbuckingnbucking Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recommend transcender since alot of the questions are very close to what is on the exam.
  • Options
    GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First, if it is going to be interesting to you, it depends on you.
    If you like to play with firewalls, acls, security in general, ... , you will find it interesting. Now, if you run away everytime you see a security problem in your network, forget it.
    About how difficult, I didn't find it difficult but I like security. The test is very easy compared with CCNA level of difficulty. You have plenty of time and the questions are short. Like nbucking said, transcender is really close to the real exam.
    About books, read from a couple of sources. I liked Sybex and technotes.
    Good Luck