Options

Trying to decide...

Well i recently obtained my MCSA 2000, but now im not sure what to do i only need one more exam to get my MCSA security specialization but i know that i need to upgrade my cert to MCSA 2003 and am wondering if doing the upgrade first would be better then maybe obtaining the security specialization.

So anybody have any thoughts on this? which would you personally go for first.
Studying 70-292.
Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We're in the same boat tibul. I am currently preparing for the 2003 upgrade (70-292). I also pondered whether to do the securty specialization or upgrade first. I just figured that having an MCSA in the current OS (2003 for now, but I keep looking for Longhorn to appear) was going to build a better portfolio than the MCSA 2000 w/security. Once the upgrade is done, a single exam (70-350 for me because I like ISA) will apply to both versions of MCSA for security specialization.

Which way were you leaning?

By the way, I chose 70-350 also because it applies to both the 2000 and 2003 MCSA:Security tracks. The 70-214 only applies to the 2000 track, while the 70-299 ony applies too the 2003 track. So if you're like me and like firewalls, consider the 70-350.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    at first i was leaning more towards the security specialization for 2000 but now im not too sure i think in the long run upgrading to 2003 would be better and then trying to get security for 2003.

I really cant decide although i can see me going for 70-292 even though I've heard its a beast of an exam to pass.

i think i will consider the ISA exam so i obtain both specializations although i don't have any experience with ISA so i would need to build a home lab to practice and study on.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    I don't have any ISA 2004 experience either, but I did manage a couple of ISA 2000 firewalls for a couple of years back in '01-'02. It appears to have really changed so I'll have my work cut out for me too. My experience for the last 3+ years has been with Symantec stuff - Symantec Gateway Security appliances, Symantec Enterprise Firewall v6-7, and Velociraptor.
  • Options
    Hows your preparing going for the upgrade? using any specific study material etc?
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    It's slow going, but that's the way I am. I drag and drag and drag along whining about how little time I have to study because of work and family until finally I get "in the zone" and spend 2 weeks studying like a mad man, then schedule the exam on a whim with less than 3-4 days notice to make me study even harder. icon_rolleyes.gif

So far I have been using the CBT Nuggets and a HUGE book (MS Self-paced Training Kit for 70-292 and 70-296 ISBN# 0735619719). I also have the Exam Cram for 70-292 but haven't used it much yet.
  • Options
    I was thinking of buying the MS study book and the sybex one, plus alot of studying on the OS itself think these will be enough? arent the CBT nugget videos a bit expensive.

With the MS book do you plan on reading all of it? or just the relevant parts for the 70-292 exam.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    tibul wrote:
    arent the CBT nugget videos a bit expensive.

Yes. So I would like to publicly thank my employer for purchasing them for me. :D
    tibul wrote:
    With the MS book do you plan on reading all of it? or just the relevant parts for the 70-292 exam.

I skimmed several chapters on the 296 topics, but otherwise I am concentrating on the 11 or so chapters specific to 292.
  • Options
    I received the Sybex and MS book, ill say one thing that MS book is bloody HUGE lol.

I'm currently working my way through the sybex book and doing the exercises along the way and when i don't have access to my lab I read the MS one.
    Studying 70-292.
  • Options
    tibul wrote:
    I received the Sybex and MS book, ill say one thing that MS book is bloody HUGE lol.

icon_lol.gif