Not sure which OS to use: advice appreciated!

DabharDabhar Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Thanks for looking!

I've just started to study for my A+ certification and have coincidentally reformatted my puter. If i'm going to prepare for the newest exams, I'm wondering which versions of Windows I should load/use on my computer (using Dual boot with Boot Magic, which I think only allows two OS's to choose from, but I'm not sure).

Win98 with Win ME?
Win ME with Win 2000?
Win 2000 with Win XP?

Your advice would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks
Dab

Comments

• GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Just in stall win2k first, and then it's own boot manager should let you load all of them. I've got 4 different versions of windows running all on the windows boot manager, although my 4 are win2k pro, server, adv server, and xp pro, but I think 98 and ME should work well also.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    My suggestion is to install Windows 98 first, than Windows XP. For many reasons, but here are some:
    - Windows 98 and ME are very similar, but ME is based on 98 so the essential parts are the same. You can learn the primary differences from a book.
    - Windows XP is Windows 2000 plus more. Everything you will need to know about 2000 for the A+ OS exam is still the same in XP.

Forget about Dual Boot with Boot magic, just install 98/me first and than an NT based OS on another partition (such as 2000 or XP) and it will automatically create a dual boot config, which you need to know for the exam, (which startup files are being used, bootsec.dos and boot.ini file contents... etc.)