Windows Vista

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
JUst curious if anyone is going to be buying Windows Vista when it comes out in late January?

Comments

• jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I will be getting a copy.

I am currently using RC1.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    Think I'll wait till my RC1 copy expires which is June if I remember rightly.
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    are those RC1 free to everyone?
  • steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    XP works just fine and it is stable right now, I think i'll hang off Vista for a long while yet. icon_cool.gif
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I use Vista at work inside of VMWare for developing and testing software. Personally, I'll not switch any of my current machines to Vista, and I'll wait wait until I buy a 64-bit laptop to start using Vista for myself.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I have an upgrade voucher so I'll be getting Vista Business for free, I'll only have to pay for S&H.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    Been using since beta 2 and now using RC1.

Ill be buying it as soon as its released or when the RC1 runs out :D
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll be installing it but not by choice.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got Vista Enterprise through the MS Campus program partnership with LSU ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    We'll be waiting as long as possible. My BETA testing has not been favorable for VISTA and aside from a couple security benefits, there is not enough ROI to justify encouraging our clients nor switching ourselves at this time...maybe in a year maybe two, but not during the first two quarters of this year...that is certain.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ummmm No Windows Vista Sucks

Why should I depart with my money just for a few visual upgrades

The whole new Gui effects are pretty lame compared to a Unbuntu machine running XGL
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    ally_uk wrote:
    Ummmm No Windows Vista Sucks

Why should I depart with my money just for a few visual upgrades

The whole new Gui effects are pretty lame compared to a Unbuntu machine running XGL

not really anybody who has extensively used vista will realize that its a huge improvement over all the other windows OS's i could easily list a huge amount of things but i think people should actually see for themselfs, Ubuntu is good but no reason to not like windows just because its from MS.
    Studying 70-292.
    Windows Vista will be great, when it's complete (I do not consider it complete yet) and the 3rd parties are able to put out products and drivers that will run on Vista. I will say that I have had no problems with stablity but lots of issues with compatibility.

When Longhorn server is released late this year SP1 for Vista is also supposed to be released which will contain (supposedly) the bits included in Longhorn Server that they weren't able to include in Vista RTM. I imagine that will be a significant update.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Microsoft suck

Why invest in a new O/S which means departing with your hard earned cash

whynot opt to go the open source route

Vista to mean is just XP with a new lick of Paint

The new Mac OS 10 is alot better :0

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    Microsoft suck

Why invest in a new O/S which means departing with your hard earned cash

whynot opt to go the open source route

Vista to mean is just XP with a new lick of Paint

The new Mac OS 10 is alot better :0

What a wonderfully ignorant post icon_thumright.gif

I love how you talk about departing with one's hard earned cash then you recomend OSX, which also costs money. Vista to you may be just a lick of paint but to many people it's increased security, Direct X 10, and many other features that are leaps and bounds over XP. Keep raging against the man dude, it's great for your blood pressure.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    I agree with paul boz its a very ignorant post, i've used all 3 OS's from linux fidora and Ubuntu 6.10 to mac osx, and from windows 95 through to vista and servers and i really cant see why people like ally_uk hate Microsoft OS's so much (maybe i can see why people dont like MS the company icon_lol.gif) there is no reason at all, all 3 OS's have there advantages and disadvantages, all 3 have bugs and problems that always need fixing just recently many have been found with mac osx, the only reason why we don't see many people complain about things with Linux and OSX is because there isn't half as many people that use them so much less chance of bugs and security flaws being found, last i heard there was 600 million Microsoft OS users so which do you think will have the most problems found?

OSX and Linux will have exactly the same thing happen as they gain more and more in popularity.

In the end like i said they all are as good as each other, all have flaws all have great things about them, some easier to use some not so easy and so on.

people can be way too close minded.
    Studying 70-292.
    Yeah but all the decent features that were going to be in Vista were removed

As for microsoft they have no innovation

Look at XP for example take the GUI mac OS 10 rip off anyone?

Plus the only thing your guarenteed with the windows family

Are numerous errors days spent installing pointless service packs

and less money in your bank account

I may just download Vista via bit torrent I wouldn't consider purchasing it

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    ally_uk wrote:
    Microsoft suck

before this turns into the typical why/how Microsoft sucks thread....let me just conclude that judging your posts here and from
    http://techexams.net/forums/search.php?search_author=ally_uk

you are by far the best example of a computer fanboy
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Please take your rants to another thread uk, I think the rest of us would like to see it stay on topic.

Thanks.
    IT guy since 12/00

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ally_uk wrote:
    Yeah but all the decent features that were going to be in Vista were removed

All of them...really....everything...wow...icon_rolleyes.gif . How about a list? Seriously I'm not going to claim you're wrong but please back up the statement.
    ally_uk wrote:
    As for microsoft they have no innovation

Fond of absolutes, not a good thing in this industry. I'm not their biggest fan by any means but no company repeatedly reinvents the wheel, you learn from your peers and you try to improved upon it, that's the way progress works. Now the line between that and blatant plagiarism can get blurred but criticising a company with a vast range of products that finally seem to work well as having NO innovation...right.
    ally_uk wrote:
    Look at XP for example take the GUI mac OS 10 rip off anyone?

Actually it was a pretty linear evolution of their 9x GUI. I don't doubt they used some ideas from other's but it's certainly not a complete rip off.

ally_uk wrote:
    Plus the only thing your guarenteed with the windows family

Are numerous errors days spent installing pointless service packs

and less money in your bank account

'Errors days'? Nothing personal but do you read your own posts before you hit submit (again serious question), punctuation and logical line breaks might help your post's credibility.
    Anyway - Windows has flaws, all OS's do, and you patch it...boo hoo. You have the choice of automatic updates, manual or a Hybrid like WSUS. It's actually a pretty painless process.
    As for the less money part, all consumer OS's have a cost. Linux has a cost in the time it takes to train on it and the simple fact that while it is a great OS and excellent for infrastructure use it lags far behind the other major OS's for general or home use. The support considerations also make it impractical for large scale office deployment without incurring a big increase in TCO....cost again.
    ally_uk wrote:
    I may just download Vista via bit torrent I wouldn't consider purchasing it

So you've stated you think it is totally useless but will pirate it and install it anyway? It's one thing to waste time (as you have stated you see it) learning to use something you actually spent money on but to waste it on a freebie? Odd logic.

Anyway. Personally I'll be holding off. XP does what I need it to do. The gains Vista brings do not currently justify the hardware upgrading I'd need to do. But then my next system will likely be built for it.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    ^What part of "please take it to another thread" don't you people understand? icon_sad.gif
    IT guy since 12/00

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote:
    ^What part of "please take it to another thread" don't you people understand? icon_sad.gif

Forgive me lord.... icon_eek.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    The reason why Vista sucks is this

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

Take the time to read it :)

I'm am not a fanboy infact i used to be a avid windows user until I was introduced to the open source way

Sure Windows used to be ok but after using open source alternatives I prefer them

This doesn't make me a fanboy everyone is entitled to there own opinions

Also my grammer isn;t that great I know because I have difficulties

But hey life goes on

• Stan27Stan27 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my laptop one day too early to get the free Vista upgrade.

It's not important, though, I haven't used Windows on any of my personal computers for a few months now. I'm a very happy Ubuntu user, in my opinion, it's the best OS I've used to date. Not a thing I miss about Windows(except maybe the animated paper clip), and the last time I used Windows on one of my home machines was to verify that my dual-boot(which I seem to have no need for) was working.
    Yeah I made the switch to unbuntu last year is such a good O/S

And for free I have no complaints

• tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vista is probably overated, but I want to gather the facts before I make that statement. I perfer windows 2k pro; don't laugh. Anything that is not compatible with 2k, I boot linux. I am currently trying to put mac osx on my PC, but I do not know if it is even possible to install it on a PC or even find it on a bit torrent. I perfer mac osx because it runs on top of the unix core and I like using cron and bash. Windows is reliable too, I just hate all the patches. I wish I could learn to write batch files because DOS or cmd is kinda cool.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
    ally_uk wrote:
    The reason why Vista sucks is this

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

Take the time to read it :)

I'm am not a fanboy infact i used to be a avid windows user until I was introduced to the open source way

Sure Windows used to be ok but after using open source alternatives I prefer them

This doesn't make me a fanboy everyone is entitled to there own opinions

Also my grammer isn;t that great I know because I have difficulties

But hey life goes on

Thats just one link, have you taken any time to look why vista is so much better than every other windows OS or why its such a big improvment you cant decide from a couple of sources, especially when you havent used it yourself.

I also use ubuntu alonside vista in dual boot and i find myself using vista much more, i can explain a few reasons why, vista is much easier to use, easier to install things, games work off the bat without messing about using wine etc, it looks much nicer than gnome and KDE although the new GUI looks very nice for ubuntu when they fix the bugs, there are loads of free open source software for vista also, and last but not least its more relevant to my job so i need to know how to use vista in depth.

In the end its preference you cant say vista sucks as you havent even tryed it so how would you know icon_confused.gif , its like me saying cisco equipment sucks just becouse i have never used it, its a very ignorant way of looking at things.

Ok enough of my rant, this has turned into another why people dislike such and such thread.
    Studying 70-292.