Options

pc switching on a switch

singsingsingsing Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a scenario, computers A and B are separated by a switch (they're on different switch interfaces).

A and B send frames to each other and the switch eventually learns which switch interface goes with which computer.

I then move A to the same side as B. A and B are now connected to the same switch interface. B then sends a message to A. Will the switch be able to locate A? How? Doesn't the switch table still contain A's old location?

Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sorry I don't know the proper terminology for this yet. If the tables are static (created by hand and do not automaticaly update until changed) then you have a problem. Most switches have dynamic tables that are continually updated. The values have a certain time to live setting that is very low. Couple of seconds or less. so the switch has to continually learn the new locations.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    dagr8timdagr8tim Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe if you reboot the switch(s), after making the hardware move. The switch(s) will figure out the new location of the machine(s).

That us assuming you are using dynamic switching. Remember, a switch goes through like 6 steps, from, listening, learning, ecc.....
    There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and Unix. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.