Options

Advice for MCDBA?

MTroike24MTroike24 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a DBA trying to get my MCD BA credentials. I've attempted this test twice now, but with no joy. On the last attempt, this morning, I was sure I was going to pass. There were no doubts in my mind ... right up to the point the score was displayed.

I know I'm out of my comfort zone here. How often is a DBA consulted when you are setting up IPSec, after all...

What's the general feeling - should I try 70-290 instead or keep plugging away? My best attempt was close at 678.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi MTroike24. What's your background and experience? Do you like working with databases?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    70-291 is a tough exam, look at this list and see if there is another exam you could take instead.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdba/requirements.mspx

Maybe try 70-290 instead, it is a little easier.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    I've been in IT for a little over 10 years. I've spent time as a developer in VB and VB .NET. I've been working with database interface and database administration for most of that time. I have Oracle OCP DBA certifications from 8.0 through 10g and I've passed both of the SQL Server 2000 exams and the VB .NET application exam. I need wither 70-291 or 70-290 to complete the MCDBA.

My problem seems to be that I'm not a network admin or anything close to it. I have a lot of experience using the network, but little administering it icon_wink.gif

70-291 covers topics that are interesting to me, but I just don't seem to be picking up the level of detail I need.

So far, I have used the Microsoft Press Training Kit for 70-291 (2nd edition), Exam Cram, Self Test software and MeasureUp.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you need to complete 290-291 I would definately set up a lab with a couple of servers and evals of W2K3 or use Virtual Server to do it on a beefy workstation. You need to practice and walk through the various DNS, DHCP, AD, etc. to get a good feel for it if you don't work with it on a daily basis. If you can afford it I highly recommend CBT Nuggets.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you don't mind sharing, what was your score on the 291 exam that you were "sure" you passed.

Quite honestly, if you were able to score a relatively close score to pass the 291 exam, it would probably require little study to pass the 290.

The subject matter is different in quite a few respects, but the learning curve is a lot less agressive, and a person in your position could probably hammer out a book in a week, and prepare in a month to easily ace the 290.
  • Options
    The second attempt was a 640.

One strange thing did happen during the test, but I doubt it had an affect. I finished question 8 and clicked the next button. The test application disappeared except for the login box. At the proctors suggestion, I clicked "Start Test" again and it came back at question 8. I paged through the first seven questions and my answers were still there. I doubt it had any affect, but I'd sure love to blame the lower score on that ... icon_rolleyes.gif

I've picked up the Syngress book and I think I might give 291 one more try. I also have books for 290 available.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Options
    PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    290 would definitely have been easier IMHO.

I used 293 as my MCDBA elective, since at the tme had no interest in dot-net and that was the only other alternative -- glad I did as 293 covers database clustering and using SCW to "harden" SQL servers. So found myself only two tests away from MCSA (270 and 291) when I completed the track. icon_cool.gif

Knocked out 270 a couple months ago and am taking 291 for the first tme this coming Friday, the 12th. :D