Options

Multiple Gateways

dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone here setup multiple gateways for a network? I have a client that has a 5 MB wireless connection and now wants a backup cable connection. The wireless connection goes through a BSD router and then to a modem. Has anyone setup anything like this before? I was thinking of putting a router before the BSD box with one connection to the BSD box and another to the cable modem on the public side.

Comments

• Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Yes, You need to purchase a managed switch so you can setup seperate VLANS allowing for dual redundancy if thats what you are looking to do. If thats the case, then you dont need two gateways...

If you are looking to have two seperate networks, then just either use two seperate routers/nics etc and set them up accordingly. I personally love having dual redundancy and better speeds with the VLAN method.

Let us know.

Thanks.
  • Options
    HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
    One vlan, and two gateways running HSRP.
    Now working full time!
  • Options
    dratnoldratnol Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies! I will look into a layer 3 switch for them. I have never done any VLAN setup, I mostly do servers and the like. Is there a load balancing feature to share both connections? I am assuming that the network, wireless, and cable connections will all be on separate VLANs.
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    you could set both of the gateways in DHCP to be given out to clients and set the metric for each one, then you could set a low cost metric to a very fast line or cheaper line and a higher metric to the slower line or more expensive one, also you could use this way so if the main line fails the other one would take over.

Another way you could do this is by making two DHCP scopes both scopes with a different gateway, this way different client machines will receive a different gateway address thus splitting up the traffic to use the different lines.

I hope i understood your questions correctly if not just ignore my post icon_lol.gif
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Yes, as long as you get a managable switch you can do QOS management. I used a 1924 back in the day and it worked fine for my purposes.