Uninstall LINUX

kitbsonkitbson Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
C: Winxp
D: Fedora

1. How to uninstall Fedora ??
2. How to set the PC will run WinXP when i uninstall Fedora ??

THX~~~

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Delete the Partition(s) on the harddrive that has Fedora installed. Boot to a Windows XP CD and go into the Recovery Console. Type FIXBOOT and then FIXMBR. restart the computer and you will boot into Windows XP automatically. Format the drive that had Fedora with NTFS using Disk Managment.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • kitbsonkitbson Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    WinXP using NTFS
    Fedora using FAT32

On this condition, your method is also suitable ???
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    kitbson wrote:
    WinXP using NTFS
    Fedora using FAT32

On this condition, your method is also suitable ???

Fedora doesnt use Fat32....it uses ext2 and ext3.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • kitbsonkitbson Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SO, i need to change the format from FAT32 to ext2 and ext3 before install Fedora

RIGHT ???
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kitbson wrote:
    SO, i need to change the format from FAT32 to ext2 and ext3 before install Fedora

RIGHT ???

I'm not following you. Do you want to install Fedora on a computer that already has XP, or do you have a computer that currently has both operating systems and you want to safely remove Fedora?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Gennosuke HIGAKIGennosuke HIGAKI Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Linux can work on Windoz file systems, namely, FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS (still read-only I think.) but I think Fedora won't be installed onto FAT32. Each OS has its own best or better home ground, as you know? All I know being workable onto FAT32 is MLD Linux: http://www.mlb.co.jp/products/linux/mld7/mld7.html

sthomas is all right so long as you drop Linux and use XP only. I dare to ask that you want to re-install a new Fedora onto the same HD? If so, no worry, boot with an install CD or floppy, then follow the re-partitioning. Delete old one and create new one. You will be able to that once you've installed Linux before. Install a set of new packages

Then GRUB OS loader will make 2 NOS selective at the bootup. I am not sure of your machine and boot cofiguration so recommend. Very best. most reliable and secure way to protect your new-born Linux is that you make a bootable floppy. Dual or triple boot is tricky and complicated, indeed. You better prepare the last resort, that is, emergency disk or something, for all your NOS(s) even residing in a single HD.

Below are for some tips on Linux Dual boot.

http://highlandsun.com/hyc/linuxboot.html
    http://www.devhood.com/tutorials/tutorial_details.aspx?tutorial_id=405

Wishing to be of a little help, I remain.
  • securinatesecurinate Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seems to me that if you uninstall the Fedora partition, then wouldn't you only boot into WinXP being that's the only OS that is native on your PC???? Let us know exactly what it is that you're trying to accomplish and we'll do our best to help you out.
    jayrok50 wrote:
    Seems to me that if you uninstall the Fedora partition, then wouldn't you only boot into WinXP being that's the only OS that is native on your PC???? Let us know exactly what it is that you're trying to accomplish and we'll do our best to help you out.

Except that when dual booting with Linux/XP, he is probably using a boot loader like grub. If he removes Fedora by simply deleting that partition, he will need to fix his MBR and use the XP boot.ini file to successfully boot into Windows afterwards.
  • PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unless you use LILO instead of GRUB.

GRUB needs to access the menu.lst file (usually soft linked as grub.conf too) for configuration info. LILO stores all this info in the MBR itself, so you can blow the partition away and it'll still work.

Of course, there's a trade-off. Every time you make a change to lilo.conf you MUST re-write the MBR for those chages to take effect. With grub you just edit the config file and that's it, you're done.

LILO is the default bootloader for Mandriva Linux, by the way.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Except that when dual booting with Linux/XP, he is probably using a boot loader like grub. If he removes Fedora by simply deleting that partition, he will need to fix his MBR and use the XP boot.ini file to successfully boot into Windows afterwards.

If you boot from a Windows XP CD and go to the recovery console. Type FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and usually that takes care of the Linux boot loader problem. Of course I am no Linux expert since it has been a long time since I have done any *nix administration so I may be missing something.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sthomas wrote:

If you boot from a Windows XP CD and go to the recovery console. Type FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and usually that takes care of the Linux boot loader problem. Of course I am no Linux expert since it has been a long time since I have done any *nix administration so I may be missing something.

You're right as a previous poster pointed out. I think that Sprkymrk was just helping someone else understand the setup and why this method was needed.
    Unless you use LILO instead of GRUB.

GRUB needs to access the menu.lst file (usually soft linked as grub.conf too) for configuration info. LILO stores all this info in the MBR itself, so you can blow the partition away and it'll still work.

Of course, there's a trade-off. Every time you make a change to lilo.conf you MUST re-write the MBR for those chages to take effect. With grub you just edit the config file and that's it, you're done.

LILO is the default bootloader for Mandriva Linux, by the way.

Good info to know about lilo. I didn't know that.

Red Hat used lilo up until about v7.3 or so. I think by Red Hat 8 they started using grub. Fedora has used grub by default since Core1.
    sthomas wrote:

You're right as a previous poster pointed out. I think that Sprkymrk was just helping someone else understand the setup and why this method was needed.

Correct. icon_cool.gif