Options

Here is my situation

OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
If you remember, I took a 2 ½ month contract not too long ago, because they told me that I would be called back soon to be a permanent employee after the current person leaves(current person informed them he would be moving away). I completed the contracted about a month ago. A few days ago, I got a call from the company I contracted at, asking me if I was available to return to the position. I am happy and of course, I say yes; not so fast, the manager that hired me has moved to another department since I left and now I have to go through the whole interviewing process again. the new manager is also interviewing other candidates for the position. I feel that it's not fair at all. I got great reviews and compliments for the job I had done while I was there and now, after just one month, I have to interview for the same job again. I have to compete against several other people for a job that I held just about a month ago. Anyway, I hope I get it.
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Comments

• Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That has to be a bummer, but at the same time you should have a leg up on the competition since you already know the environment and the previous manager knows that you do good work. I hope it works out for you.

blargoe
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    It is the nature of the contracting beast. You have to abide by whatever the client wants. You may have done well when you did it before which will help but you wern't a permanent employee and as such, have no right to any sort of "fairness". I've been a contractor fo four years now and there are many decisions I think are wrong but that is just the way of it. Your there for as long as they need the job done and then your gone. You just have to go with the flow.
    Kam.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    not so fast, the manager that hired me has moved to another department since I left and now I have to go through the whole interviewing process again. the new manager is also interviewing other candidates for the position.

It could just be a formality. Anyway, Good luck on getting the job.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    steve-o87steve-o87 Member Posts: 274
    Olajuwon wrote:
    If you remember, I took a 2 ½ month contract not too long ago, because they told me that I would be called back soon to be a permanent employee after the current person leaves(current person informed them he would be moving away). I completed the contracted about a month ago. A few days ago, I got a call from the company I contracted at, asking me if I was available to return to the position. I am happy and of course, I say yes; not so fast, the manager that hired me has moved to another department since I left and now I have to go through the whole interviewing process again. the new manager is also interviewing other candidates for the position. I feel that it's not fair at all. I got great reviews and compliments for the job I had done while I was there and now, after just one month, I have to interview for the same job again. I have to compete against several other people for a job that I held just about a month ago. Anyway, I hope I get it.

That does suck but bear in mind that companies also interview a certain amount of people to fill quota. icon_rolleyes.gif I know it sounds dumb but I have known a few companies to do so and if you were given great reviews you probably will get it. my 2c

Best of luck - :D
    I am the lizard King. I can do anything.
  • Options
    jstrongjstrong Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say more than likely you have the job, interviewing others might be just a formality. They probably have to do that to avoid being accused of bias.
  • Options
    Well, I got the job a few days ago. I am one happy dude right now. :D
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man !!!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is great news! It seemed as if it was just a formality and you were pretty set getting the job anyways. Have fun on your new job!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_cool.gificon_thumright.gificon_cheers.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Thanks for the congrats. Thank you, God. :D