Options

what is difference bw Passive Site survey & Traditional

ychxychx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
what is difference bw Passive Site survey & Traditional way? i am little confused. thanks a lot for your help.

Comments

  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ychx wrote:
    what is difference bw Passive Site survey & Traditional way? i am little confused. thanks a lot for your help.

    I think what you're calling passive is doing the site survey based only from information already gathered and using some of the EXTREMELY expensive software based site survey solutions. They're very neat to watch work but there has been some question as to real accuracy. Typically you use their software to lay out the floor plan or site plan for the survey area. Then you answer questions like is the building exterior wood, brick, stucco, etc.... Next you'll be have to assign values such as thickness, and material to internal walls. Then you identify wet walls, firewalls, etc. You're asked tons of information, then the software attempts to show you how RF will radiate based on the information you've input. There are variables you can change on the fly such as AP locations, RF radio frequency and transmit power, and other things. Again, it's cool to watch it work, but some things you just want know without a traditional site survey.

    Keatron.
  • Options
    ychxychx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    keatron wrote:
    ychx wrote:
    what is difference bw Passive Site survey & Traditional way? i am little confused. thanks a lot for your help.
    tks a lot for your explaination and it seems same as predictive method. Confused again?

    I think what you're calling passive is doing the site survey based only from information already gathered and using some of the EXTREMELY expensive software based site survey solutions. They're very neat to watch work but there has been some question as to real accuracy. Typically you use their software to lay out the floor plan or site plan for the survey area. Then you answer questions like is the building exterior wood, brick, stucco, etc.... Next you'll be have to assign values such as thickness, and material to internal walls. Then you identify wet walls, firewalls, etc. You're asked tons of information, then the software attempts to show you how RF will radiate based on the information you've input. There are variables you can change on the fly such as AP locations, RF radio frequency and transmit power, and other things. Again, it's cool to watch it work, but some things you just want know without a traditional site survey.

    Keatron.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,048 Admin
    I take it that "plural abbreviated version of XXXXXX" is an automatically filtered substitution for the name of illicit exam prep materials. Posting information related to such materials will result in being banned from TechExams.net.

    Keatron, you are describing a pretty cool software package! People could learn a lot about wireless network design from playing with simulation software like that. I only know of active and passive site surveys. A passive survey is what you described: an analysis of the possible affects that a physical environment may have on a theoretical wireless network. An active site survey uses tools to discover the coverage and problems of an existing and operational wireless network.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    I take it that "plural abbreviated version of XXXXXX" is an automatically filtered substitution for the name of illicit exam prep materials. Posting information related to such materials will result in being banned from TechExams.net.

    Keatron, you are describing a pretty cool software package! People could learn a lot about wireless network design from playing with simulation software like that. I only know of active and passive site surveys. A passive survey is what you described: an analysis of the possible affects that a physical environment may have on a theoretical wireless network. An active site survey uses tools to discover the coverage and problems of an existing and operational wireless network.

    Yes. The cool thing about it is you can insert things such as 2.4ghz cordless phones, microwaves and bluetooth devices and get a general idea of how it will play into your WLAN cells and signals. You basically drag your access points around to and see where you get the best coverage. 1 ft difference in the location of the AP could be the difference in good coverage around a room corner or no coverage around that same room corner. And yes, this is predictive analysis software, but keep in mind you can safely say predictive analysis is a FORM of passive site surveying.
Sign In or Register to comment.