Options

Home Network

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi There guys

I'm currently in the process of planing my home network setup as I lived in a shared house space is a issue.

I have decided not to go the wireless route as I do not wish to have somebody intent on stealing my precious bandwith.

So the systems I am intending to buy are the following

Mac Mini - Dual Booted OS 10 and Windows Xp
Powermac G4 - Kubuntu or Yellowdog
Normal Pc - Windows XP and Unbuntu
Netgear ADSL router

The question I ask as I'm pretty new to networking how do I go about getting all these machines to communicate with each other assuming they all use TCP/IP

Do I need to make one of the systems a filer server or can they communicate with each in a P2P setup

Of course the physcial connection cannot be a Peer to Peer as there is a router involved

aggggghghhghghghghhg!!! confused and need some help lol

Also because I'm using apple hardware how does Appletalk communicate with a windows box ( TCP/IP?)

Many thanks

Ally
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Buy a cheap switch on ebay, also if you wanted you can put a password on your wireless access.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    Like EdtheLad said get a switch (also if your router has some ethernet ports on you can just connect them that way my netgear router has 4) to have them all connected or use wireless with some form of encryption like WPA2-PSK a good secure one.

If your apple Machines can't use TCP/IP i.e. if they can only use appletalk then you need to make sure to install the appletalk protocol on your windows and Linux machines this way they can communicate with the apple machines that you may not have TCP/IP installed.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    My advice is to get both, use the wireless on all of them using the highest encryption available to your router, and have the wired option as redundancy
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for your help guys

I'm going to use Cat5 cabling for my network

I probably won't be getting a Switch and will just use the Ethernet ports on my Router As for the apple talk protocols I probably won't need to worry about this and just stick to the TCP/IP standard.

When I aqquire the funds in the future I will then implement a Cisco router and switch into the setup as a means of learning the CCNA material.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "