Options

Which hard drive should I get

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
Should I go with more space or a faster hard drive? right now I am looking at the following

Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

or

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KSRTL 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Options
    PhilippatosPhilippatos Inactive Imported Users Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd go for a SATA-300 controller and drive that supports NCQ, like my nForce 405 and Seagate 400GB. But I'm biased, of course. :D
    http://4crito.com/screenshots/fc6_64bit.jpg
  • Options
    tony0101tony0101 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    500 gb 7200 rpm is alot better than 150 gb 10000rpm hdd. Go with his choice for sure.
    Say Hello To MY little friend!!!
    TONY Cleaveland
  • Options
    tibultibul Member Posts: 240
    personally i'd go with the faster drive, unless you save lots of data there is no point in the huge drives, i've always chosen faster drives over space i.e. i used to have 4 32gb 10k RPM Raptor drives in RAID 0 and this was by far the fastest loading times for the OS plus games that i have ever experienced and i've have built and used many performance/gaming machines.

most drives even the 10k RPM drive cant take full advantage of 1.5gbs SATA yet so there wont be much if any difference with the 3gbs, this is from personally experience using 4 way RAID 0 in 1.5gbs controllers and 3gbs controllers and there was no noticeable improvement in benchmarks or loading times.
    Studying 70-292.
    Aiming for MCSA: Security and 2003 upgrade.
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    I'll add on to what tibul said and say that unless you are setting up RAID with multiple drives, there's no reason to buy the Raptor. Even if you don't need the 500GB, the cost per gigabyte of the 7200 RPM drive vs. the Raptor makes it an easy choice
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Raptor, then SAS for seek time critical

If you just want space get the bigger slower drive.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    i dont see the point of having huge drives, if one of them fails on you you have lost the entire contents

i would build in some redundancy and have a Raid 0 with a third drive no bigger than 200, if more space is needed than a further 200