Options

FIrst post/ Class ?

TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
I was looking at getting my CCNA. I took the 2 year course in hs and never took the next level of actually taking the test. I am currently working as a Junior sys admin and I need certs bad. I have been looking at americaninteractive.com They are offering a 6 day corse; 5 days class and 6th day review/test. I was wondering if anyone has any input on these types of classes. Are they meaningful? Are they worth it? They have a free vouchers till pass policy and sit ins are allowed if you fail.

Thanks

Ryan

Comments

• Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my opinion unless the company you work for is going to pay for the training I would just do self study. You can pick up a couple of used cisco routers/switches on ebay and a book or 2 from amazon.com for a reasonable price.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Therhino wrote:
    Are they meaningful?
    If you do the preparation work before going or have the experience but not the free study time.... then maybe.
    Therhino wrote:
    Are they worth it?
    As sthomas said -- if the company you work for pays for it. Otherwise the only reason to pay for it yourself is if you don't have the self-discipline for self-study..... but if you don't have the experience or preparation before going, its just a waste of money.
    Therhino wrote:
    They have a free vouchers till pass policy and sit ins are allowed if you fail.
    The sit ins are good if you couldn't keep up the first time you sat through the boot camp.... multiple looks at the material may finally stick in your brain.

But the free voucher until you pass makes me uneasy about what material they use to stay profitable. But people who don't put in the study time or effort probably just give up long before their 20th attempt at the CCNA exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I done the course and never sat the exam 6 years ago.

Have been studying since Nov, initially booked exam for Jan, which was doable, but due to work I have had to put it back until March.

The majority of what I learned 6 years ago has stuck so it's like I'm refreshing my knowledge. I agree with the guys, self study with Sybex book unless your work is paying for the bootcamp!
  • Options
    TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    i guess i should jump on it then....they are wanting me to get any and all trianing i want. seems like an easy way to do it.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you self study the material you'll be more inclined to spend more time on the stuff that you have a hard time with. You can't really control the pace of learning in a week long prep brain **** class. You're much more likely to retain the knowledge you learn if you pick up a book and just grind it out.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/