Options

file and email archiving

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
Hi I'm looking for some help on finding a good solution for file archiving

allI know at this point is

-it needs to be easily accessiable and not require any additional logon's -- we do not want users to have to remember an additional username/password

- it also needs to be able to back up both email (exchange based) and files

I applogize for my ignorance about this but I was just asked to find a few options and after googling it thought mybe it was better to ask others who have impletmented this type of system

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We're going to be looking at some archiving options this year as well. Symantec Enterprise Vault is one solution that should enable you to archive email and files and it will even leave pointers so that the end users can not tell the files were ever moved from the main server. From what I hear it's very expensive though. If you have a SAN vendor, they will almost certainly have a solution as well. I can't really recommend one over the other though.

A lot of the email archiving products offer a web interface where you have to enter a username and password, which sound like it's not what you are looking for.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    thanks for the suggestion

I'd love have a SAN but I'm still fighting the boss on it....for a cluster ( he wants a bastardized cluster setup and I don't want to do it).

a web based solution is doable as long as the users could use the same user name and password... it isn't ideal but I might be able to do some convincing