Options

Monster.com employer contacted me...

misman1982misman1982 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm a little doubtful whether to do this gig or not.

It's an installation of IBM servers at three local tire shops. All I need to bring is myself and some tools. Training will be a telephone call from the project manager which will explain what will happen at the time of installation.

What I'm worried about is scamming. I am hesitant about sending my information(SSN, direct deposit form, address, phone, etc.) to the employer who is based in Illinois. I live in Florida.

I didn't apply for this position; they contacted me.

I've asked questions when the employer called me and it sounds real. The fishy part is that I called the three tire stores and they don't know anything about it and they referred me to the district manager in Alabama (I had to leave a message).

Has anyone had experience with Monster or Dice or any other online job finding sites? Give me the confidence to do this.

Comments

• Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    I wouldn't do it. Sounds too shady to me. ncool.gif
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Sounds a bit fishy to me also, however wait to hear back from the head office, in my experience most of the time the people on the floor aren't always informed of what's going on :)

-Ken
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    misman1982 wrote:
    Has anyone had experience with Monster or Dice or any other online job finding sites?
    Yeah -- lots of scams and shady recruiters icon_eek.gif

You should lookup the company and the phone number of the "recruiter" and see if it matches. Someone can claim to work for a real company and give you a cell/skype phone number as the "contact number" or "direct line."

Caller ID can also be spoofed.... so also don't trust any calls unless you make them... and have verified the company/phone number. And don't forget its easy to build a fake website.... how long has the domain been registered.

That said -- it could still be a valid job. If they want to do "direct deposit" -- then they should be an easily verifiable large company.

But it does sound fishy if this is a "one time job" ...... exercise extreme caution before you give them any of that information.

Oh -- and a "company" who wants to avoid the US Post Office (and mail fraud) and doesn't want the paperwork sent to the "office" because they "work from home" also makes me wonder.

Oh -- and Fax only paperwork is always a red flag.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i have worked for many companies that have called me based on my resume to do 1 time gigs. most have been reputable companies. the first cisco gig i got was from a call out of the blue asking if i had a laptop, cellphone ( which they called me on) icon_confused.gif , basic hand tools and sent me a sow. then asked to me fill out w2, I9 , contract agreement and fax them in.

5 years later moved up in the world a bit icon_rolleyes.gif

if you want, let us know the name of the company and we all can check into it
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    http://tech-recruiter.net

Notice the company has been around for 2 years.

The project is for some company called Insight and Barbeau is used to hire employees. I searched Insight and it's a computer hardware company. The tire company that I will be installing the servers is Bridgestone.

The one she gave me --> Phone: (630)377-7631
    The one on the website --> Phone: 847-464-4548

They're in two different cities. But I don't know the geography of Ill.

As much as I can't be picky, I just might pass it up. I don't want to get burned in the future with some credit card scam buying child **** or something.
  • Options
    I just noticed that a word I typed came out with "xxxxxxx". Sorry about that.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    misman1982 wrote:
    I just noticed that a word I typed came out with "xxxxxxx". Sorry about that.
    Don't worry about it, just to keep the spammers out.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Ive actually done a few jobs for major companies such as jc pnny and walmart that went through whatever 3rd party they have schedule work for them. Everytime ive ever been to the actual locations the managers have no clue what im there for and it has taken as much as 1/2 to 2 hours before they finally realized i was there to fix something and authorized to do it. The walmart managers were just like ohh well whatever do what you want and i had to go into their shipments in their "data area" and dig through boxes till i found the access point i needed to replace their damaged one.

But if its a somewhat smaller company then i would expect them to know what you were there for.
  • Options
    So it's normal for this instance to happen that I'm going through? I'm just worried about the legitimacy of these companies. I don't want to hand out my SSN and bank account info to someone who saw me on a job-seeking site.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i have worked for insight global they are pretty big company. as far as the other company check the state/city they operate in to verify the legal status of them
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons