Options

WSUS Problem.

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hi all,

I have just recently set-up WSUS within our company. Im fairly new to it so i only know what i have read wihtout playing aroudn with it to much.

Anyways my problem is this. We have 15 servers and so far WSUS has only detected 12 of them. These were all detected automatically without any user interaction. The others however have not yet appeared in the computers list. To try and rectify the problem, i logged into the missing servers. And ran the following;

gpupdate /force

wuauclt.exe /detectnow

After doing this they still have not appeared in the list, and apart from this i have no other ideas of what i need to try to get this working. The strangest thing though is that we have 4 terminal server machines, set up as

RDS01, RDS02, RDS03, RDS04. These machines are all ghosted copies of one another but the thing i found strange is that RDS01 and RDS03 were detected automatically, and for the life of me i cant get the other 2 registered. The other machine is our mail gateway machine running on windows 2000. All other machines are server 2003.

Is there maybe some settings im missing? I just find it particulary strange that all other servers were automatically found and these 3 refuse to be registered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    How do you have this computers configured? Are you using group policy or registry settings? IF you have a group policy make sure all the servers are in the OU that the policy is applied to.
  • Options
    Sorry i forgot that information. It is configured via group policy which is set at the domain level, so all OUs are getting it.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check the event viewer for errors to see if they are pulling group policy correctly.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Yeah they are all recieving group policy fine.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try this in combination with re-installing the Windows Update client with the /wuforce switch.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com/articles/025.htm

Windows Update Client x86:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43264

Windows Update Client x64:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=43265
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That first link by icroyal is the procedure I use. I wrote a batch file to automate it:
    net stop wuauserv

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v SusClientID
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate /v AccountDomainSid

net start wuauserv

gpupdate /force

wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

I use psexec to run it remotely against the computers that don't show up in WSUS.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The problem you are having is due to the ghosted machines having the same SUSClientID. The procedure that sparkymark listed should rectify the problem.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...