Options

Is Boson Netsim being stupid?

djmddjmd Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Another thread has prompted me to do a little work in netsim today (well, since I'm taking my second attempt in two days, I was planning on it anyway) and I am working though the sequential labs. Basically got everything set up and turned on RIP, no problem... everything worked. Turned off RIP and enabled OSPF... and I am seeing a weird route on two of the routers, and those routers aren't getting the correct routes in their tables either.. :

O 255.254.254.255 [120/0] via , 00:05:51

Just wanted to make sure that this is netsim and not me... :)

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    djmd wrote:
    Just wanted to make sure that this is netsim and not me... :)
    Its always NetSim icon_lol.gif ... okay, most of the time its NetSim.

When in doubt, start fresh between using the labs that come with NetSim.

If you build your own scenarios, expect some stupid stuff. Reload your starting network and try the new scenario from scratch incase something doesn't get cleared from a previous configuration.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    DisintoDisinto Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My problem is different... I cannot have information from RIP at all... I have entered all the networks that I want to announce on all the routers, and still no entry in the routing table. Any idea ? Thanks :)
  • Options
    Disinto wrote:
    My problem is different... I cannot have information from RIP at all... I have entered all the networks that I want to announce on all the routers, and still no entry in the routing table. Any idea ? Thanks :)
    As much as I like to blame NetSim.... it usually does the simple stuff okay... if its part of an existing lab.

When you do a show ip route do you see your connected routes? If not ip routing may have been shutdown.

When you do a show ip protocol do you see your RIP networks?

When you do a show ip interface brief are your interfaces is your status up and your protocol up?

Are you running any other routing protocol that has a better administrative distance for the same routes -- if so, you'll never see the RIP routes...... you just said the RIP routes aren't there.... but you you should also tell us what is in the routing table to cut down the scope of the problem.
  • Options
    I have the impression that RIP is not really supported on my version...
    I thought that it was a problem of ip routing, but the command is unavailable.
    I see my directly connected networks in show ip route.
    When I do show ip protocols, I don't see my RIP networks icon_sad.gif

But it doesn't matter, it was just a training before a lab I'll do tomorrow with real equipements ;)

Thanks !
  • Options
    No router rip in global configuraiton mode? Did you check the ? to see the commands that are available?
    R3640-5#config t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
    R3640-5(config)#route?
    route-map  router

R3640-5(config)#router ?
      bgp       Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
      eigrp     Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP)
      isis      ISO IS-IS
      iso-igrp  IGRP for OSI networks
      mobile    Mobile routes
      odr       On Demand stub Routes
      ospf      Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)
      rip       Routing Information Protocol (RIP)

Once you start working with real equipment, it will help with figuring out when NetSim is just messing with you. :D
  • Options
    All was okay, but it's been a long time I tweak Cisco equipements, and I was checking something with RIP that was not documented ;)
    I proceeded exactly like in real case, so that's why I accused Netsim :p
    I had previously lots of problems with Frame Relay icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Disinto wrote:
    and I was checking something with RIP that was not documented ;)
    All bets are off once you go beyond the labs that ship with NetSim..... if you try to build your own labs and do things that work on real routers (and is supposedly supported by NetSim) -- it still may not work. :D

If you have access to real IOS images (7200, 3600, 2691?) you can try Dynamips (with the Dynagen front-end that makes it easier to get running). It emulates the MIPS processor on your PC/Linux system and lets you run the real IOS on emulated routers. The layer2 switching stuff still needs some work, but its great for routing stuff (includes simulated frame-relay and ATM).
  • Options
    Oh, thank you for the name of this soft, I didn't think something like that would ever be developed ! That's a good thing !
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FFS Iam sorry but boson netsim is good if you can't afford the equipments, not everyone have the luxury to buy the necessary hardware, so please don't blame it on netsim.
  • Options
    I blame Netsim for not being able to handle simple RIP routing. I checked last week on real routers, and all was working perfectly ; and I'm not completely newbie with networks.
    I can't afford buying Cisco routers, that's why I'm using the ones that my university provide to us.