Options

Home Lab setp

ishgotbikeishgotbike Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum and would like to know how to setup my cisco Lab. I currently own 5) 2611's and 1)1924 which are ready to be setup but i would like to know how to use them directly from my cable modem. I figure this would allow me to see real-time network traffic. But i also do not want to disturb the MS's internet PC as well. Any tips? Thank you in advance.
Ish
To improve is to change; to perfect is to change often.

CCNP: Switch [x ] Route [ ] T-Shoot [ ]

Comments

• Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    please do a search on the forums regarding this repeated topic
  • Options
    mrLeninmrLenin Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out this how to connect home lab to internet? thread That may get you started....

There was also an old thread on IOS for port forwarding? where I included a link that should have a sample router config to look at....

Security of your home network could be an issue if you're just starting out working on the CCNA. Usually you'd just add your lab onto your existing home network and not use it to control your internet access until you know what you are doing.

If you want to access your home lab remotely to study, that can be done several ways -- VPN, port forwarding to terminal server (and remote power), remote desktop software access to your home pc.... etc.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    They gived simple instruction :

isp -> cable modem -> wireless router -> eth0 c2501 - serial0 ->serial0 c2501 eth0 -> cat switch -> other device.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do a search on this site for getting your lab connected to the internet. You might want to search for how to connect a 2514 to the internet, as there seem to be a lot of articles on 2500's on the site. A 2611 is close to being the same model.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum
  • Options
    As I know 2611 router are discontinued in manufacture...Pity( They are not bad ...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Netwurk wrote:
    You might want to search for how to connect a 2514 to the internet, as there seem to be a lot of articles on 2500's on the site.
    Ah... 2514 search -- good idea.

methoselah has a diagram in this thread

here's a classic thread from 2004

and a more recent thread that gives you an idea what people go through when they are first starting out.

If you don't have a router with 2 ethernet interfaces, you can do router-on-a-stick if you have a router that supports it -- 2500s don't, 2610 does with the proper IOS -- and a switch that supports VLANs.

And security is still a major concern.... so if you have an IOS with a firewall feature set, check out Cisco IOS Firewall Overview.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ishgotbikeishgotbike Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OMG i left this post for dead. Thanks guys as i am new to the forum as well as the CCNA stuff. I was also advised to buy a 2511 as a terminal server so i can acces it from work. any advice? Ill check these posts and get back to you.
    Ish
    To improve is to change; to perfect is to change often.

CCNP: Switch [x ] Route [ ] T-Shoot [ ]