Options

VMWare Server..Help Needed

Ross CRoss C Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Firstly....

Hello all. Although I have been browsing on here for many months and found the site extremely useful this is my first post. The content on here is excellent and will continue to use this site for as long as I am studying (forever :)).

Right, straight to my issue:

I have just installed VMWare Server onto my server at home and am having some problems which I am sure is something extremely simple to resolve.

I have connected the Virtual Server to my domain but for some reason it keeps picking up an IP address not related to my DHCP server. I am guessing it is using its own address range of some kind as I get something like 192.168.111.1 all the time.

I admit I am a tad lazy when it comes to reading up on the instructions so would like a quick..."you need to do this or you have not done that" answer".

Is it because i am using Host only networking.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you saying you installed the DHCP service on one of your virtual servers? Could it be picking up an IP address from your Cable Modem/Router/DSL Modem?

Oh, BTW, welcome to the site! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ross C wrote:
    Is it because i am using Host only networking.

Thanks!
    Yes.

VMWare has a built-in DHCP server that assigns IP addresses to the virtual networks internal to VMWare. Host-only networking refers to a virtual network that only exists withing the VMWare Host Software, it knows nothing about your LAN or your domain, unless you set up the routing for this to work. If you need you virtual machines to work on your domain or your LAN, you need to set them up on a bridged network.

I strongly recommend at least perusing the documentation for this software. It will save you lots of time and headache.

Rgds,

blargoe
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Ross CRoss C Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent

Thanks for the replies! I have actually just had a little read in the support section on the site and as Blargoe said, it sounds like it is Bridged network that I need.

Thanks again!