Options

Question about wireless

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

One of my users needs to get a computer and use his phone wireless through his computer in case his home network goes down or he can use it wherever he is.

How can one go about doing this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    He will need a phone/blackberry/smartphone capable of tethering and then he'll have to sign up for a data transfer package from him cell phone provider. Personally, I user Verizon and my Blackberry (8703e) is capable of the being tethered. I plug my Blackberry into my laptop via a usb cable and then connect to Verizon's network. I know that that Cingular and Sprint offer a similar service and I would image that T-Mobile does as well.
  • Options
    Thanks!

I think he is getting a Motorola Q phone - brand new so it should be able to do tethering.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    The Q should definitely be capable of tethering. Your friend will need to check with - I'm assuming - Verizon and enable the data package with his line. It's not going to be cheap but it has saved me a couple of times when I was out roaming around and needed to remote into work.
  • Options
    RT -

I checked and it is an extra 15 per month. I am going to sit down with him on Friday and explain the extra costs.

Thanks a ton for the help!
  • Options
    Not a problem.
  • Options
    RT -

As far as setting this up goes - both the computer and the phone have bluetooth so when setting it up do I need a cable or can I do it through the wireless bluetooth?

Also is their software that needs to be installed to set up the connection to the computer from the phone etc?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Assuming you are using Verizon, you will need to download and install the VZAccess Manager software on the laptop. My Blackberry came with a mini-usb to usb cable and I would imagine the Q does as well. Install the software, plug in the device, and connect through Verizon's utility and you should be good to go.

You can find the software here: click

If you are using another carrier besides Verizon, you might need to contact them in regards to the software you will need.
  • Options
  • Options
    I just called Verizon and only their Trio's and Blackberry's are capable of tethering.
  • Options
    That's simply not true. Someone you talked to is a moron or lied. Two of my employees are using the Motorola RAZR and are tethering. It's possible that there is a location issue but I doubt it.

EDIT: Look at the link for the software I gave you. It has the drivers and everything for quite a few phones. The person you were talking with just isn't too familiar with Verizon's services apparently.