Options

Microsoft Excel Problem

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hello again all,

Sorry to keep bothering everyone it seems as though our network also went on holidays but has not come back yet :D

I am having a problem with one of our users accessing Excel via terminal services. The problem is this, when this user tries to open an excel file it open excel but not the file. It just has a grey screen with almost all the buttons and toold unavailable. This is happening to all excel files not just a sinlg one, but it does not happen for anyone else.

However if you open excel and then open the file you want it works fine. Very strange?

All excel files are set to open properly with excel. I also tried to select the file and choose open with. Then i chose exc el, ticked always use this application to open this sort of file and opened the file. When i do that the following error occurs.

Windows cannot find "file path" Make sure you typed the path correctly.

It seems liek some strange terminal server problem which i have grown so accustomed to, and i even tried the old trusty log out and back in again, but to avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If all else fails i will re create the profile but dont really want to walk that path.

Comments

• Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you tried Detect and Repair? That's helped me with "weird" Outlook problems, but I've never tried it on Excel. Quick, easy - might be worth a shot. icon_wink.gif
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • Options
    albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
    You cannot run a detect and repair within temrinal services.

For all its beauty terminal services it is definately not without its major drawbacks.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you go to Add/Remove Programs and select Office as if you were going to uninstall it, will it give you the repair option there?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's just the one user on a server where other users are working fine? Just delete her user profile off of the server and have them log in again.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After you open the document, or attempt to, choose the Window menu and see if the Unhide option is available. If it is then choose it. If not Click Window > Arrange and then OK.