Options

Self-Study Guide vs Certification Guide ??

djmddjmd Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Just got my NA and I really want to continue my learning process without any delay and work on the NP. I am a little confused as to the different books out there - the new ones that just came out last month and the ones not coming out till July. What is the difference? Would it be a good idea to just go ahead and get the 4th edition BCMSN certification guide as a starting point?

Comments

• Options
    djmddjmd Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    djmd wrote:
    Hello all,

Just got my NA and I really want to continue my learning process without any delay and work on the NP. I am a little confused as to the different books out there - the new ones that just came out last month and the ones not coming out till July. What is the difference? Would it be a good idea to just go ahead and get the 4th edition BCMSN certification guide as a starting point?

OK well I easily answered my own question.... after reading on the site.

Self-Study Guides, which are based on Cisco courses for the related exams, provide essential foundation learning and thoroughly cover topics addressed in those courses. These books assume no prior knowledge of the subject matter and take a detailed approach to tutorial-based learning. Book elements within the Self-Study Guide Series feature real-world case studies, configuration examples, and chapter-ending review questions, making them useful on the job, in addition to exam preparation.

Exam Certification Guides help prepare candidates for Cisco certification exams. These books assume readers have attained the necessary learning foundation and experience for a certification test and are reviewing material before exam time. They include summary information that details critical information on key exam topics and a companion CD-ROM, which contains a powerful testing engine that can be customized with practice exam questions and simulation-based questions, adaptable performance trackers, and the complete text in electronic format.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was about to say that! icon_lol.gif

The Practical Studies series of books are/were the "Hands-On" books that formed the 3rd leg of the suggested books. I don't know if there are plans for new books for the new exams. The "Old" Practical Studies books for BCMSN and BSCI should still be useful.

The Cisco Press Flash Cards are/were the 4th leg for the Cisco Press suggested study method of having you buy more stuff from them.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Hey thanks for this information bro. I went to the best IT bookstore in Singapore today, and was saddened to see that they did not have the latest CCNP books in the store. This place really is awesome, but I guess they want to push out the old books first. Time to go to Amazon.com

- Optimus