Options

70-272: Remote Desktop & Windows Firewall

RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
Am looking for materials in particular on Windows Firewall and Remote Desktop to help me pass 70-272. Was definitely not too happy making a 651 on the exam. I have used the MS Press 70-272 study guide and the ExamCram2 book for study. The MS Press Book and practice exams that came with it did not have any questions regarding Remote Desktop.

Lately, I have been reading the Windows XP Pocket Administrator's Pocket Consultant and Windows Inside Out: Deluxe Edition. I'm just wondering what other books and materials are out there to help me gain a better understanding of Remote Desktop and Windows Firewall ..... I will eventually take the 70-272 exam for the second time. I just hope I don't have to take it a third time!

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Have you got it setup in a lab to test hands on? Im sure many would suggest this and i for one know it helps things stick in my head.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I would say the MCDST MS press books cover what you need to know about Remote desktop and the firewall enough to pass the exam...

When I took the exam, it did not go too deep as long as you know how to get to all the options and what they do.....

Remote Desktop is pretty straight forward...

Did you play with ALL the settings?
  • Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    For the most part all you need to know for the exam is how to enable the exception on Windows Firewall for Remote Desktop, and you need to know that windows firewall only protects incoming traffic. This means if your trying to remote desktop to your home computer, you would ensure that on your home computer remote desktop is enabled on your windows firewall. The computer your connecting FROM doesnt matter if you have remote desktop enabled on firewall or not. And make sure remote desktop is actually enabled itself on the computer your trying to connect (System Properties --> Remote tab --> Allow users to connect remotely to this computer is checked). Thats what helped me understand windows firewall and remote desktop, hope this helps you.
  • Options
    So, if I am connecting from home on a PC running Win XP Home, I can connect to my work PC (running Win XP Pro) as long as I have port 3389 open on the firewall at work in order to connect from my home PC to my work PC. In other words, it doesn't matter how the settings on my firewall at home (the Win XP Home PC using Windows Firewall) are set.

Does this also apply to Remote Assistance?
  • Options
    Windows XP Home Edition does not support Remote Desktop. And you cannot technically use remote assistance same as remote desktop, since remote assitance requires the host computer actually accept your invitation, and you cannot do that since you cannot be at your office and home computer same time. Remote assistance is mainly used to get help from an "expert" who is not at your computer but you are still at your computer.
  • Options
    I was thinking if I wanted to connect to my Win XP Pro computer at work from my computer at home running Win XP Home, I could install the Remote Desktop Client software off the Win XP Home CD. Then, I would have to make sure that port 3389 is enabled on the firewall at work. And, the same Remote Desktop Client software can be used on older version of Windows (going as far back as Windows 95 and NT 4.0) can be used to connect to a PC running Windows XP Pro.

I do appreciate the explanation on Remote Asistance since you have to have two people at two locations and the "invitation" component using e-mail or Windows Messenger. As for the e-mail invitations, do you have to use Outlook or Outlook Express or can a third party e-mail program (i.e. Thunderbird) be used?
  • Options
    1. Open Remote Assistance
    2. Click on "Invite someone to help you"
    3. Click on Save invitation as a file (Advanced)
    4. Type in name you would like to appear on the invitation
    5. Set time when the invitation will expire
    6. if you want set a password create a password
    7. Click on Save Invitation
    8. By default the location is your My Documents\\RAInvitation.msrcincident
    9. Then simply attach this file to your email client
    10. If your invitation is accepted you will get a notification if you are connected to the internet.

Hope this helps you.[/list]
  • Options
    The info on Remote Assistance is very helpful. If I can get Windows Firewall and Remote Desktop figured out, I think I'll be in good shape for the 70-272 exam. I have no plans of taking that exam for a third time!