Options

HARD DRIVE info for A+??

chelchchelch Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently reading the mike meyers all in one A+ cert book. I just finished reading the LONG chapter on hard drives. For the CORE part of the test do I need to know about partitioning or do I need to just study the hardware aspects of the hard drive for the core test?

I noticed that even the tech notes on this site put the partitioning tech notes under the OS heading.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

Comments

• Options
    Homer SimpsonHomer Simpson Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's been a while since I've taken the test and honestly I can't remember if partitioning was on the A+ HW test, I can tell you that it will be on every test you plan to take for the rest of your life. My suggestion is simple to you; if you don't know for sure, why not learn it and then you'll be set in the event it comes up on the test.
    you will have to know all the physical aspects of the HD- power plugs, CHS, voltages etc. You'll also have to know the operational aspects as well- what region of the MB does the HD interface at, how does data travel to and from etc. So, if you have to know all that type of info, understanding partitioning is relatively small-but more valuable since its referred to very often.

BTW: Meyer's books are great. His methodology in teaching is easy to understand and the books are organized great. Good Luck.

Homer sends.
  • Options
    missing30missing30 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey chelch,
    Passed both tests only a week ago, and the q's are already faiding into a NET+ study fog, but that being said, know how to use FDISK, and IDE channel info, the difference between fat16 and fat32, the benefits of NTFS over any FAT scheme and, i don't think you reached this part of the AIO book yet, SCSI info, (i.e. how to boot from an SCSI HD).
    Hope that helps ya.

ditto on the meyers book opinion, homer. his books are very good.

GL
    Jeff
  • Options
    ZumpelZumpel Member Posts: 53 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As the guys said already: You should learn about the "partition game". Even if it won't come up in any test you take it will be base knowledge when you start getting into alternative OS's