Options

Perc 3/Di Raid controller question.

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I have a dell poweredge with a Perc 3/Di controller. When I go into the bios and select Raid, it doesnt give me an option of 0,1,5 etc...

It looks like it is currently doing Raid1 on the first 2 drives, and the second two drives nothing is happening. This is fine, however I would like to setup the 3rd drive and the 4th drive as a Raid 0 configuration due to the drives are different sizes.

I am not familiar with Dells raid configuration setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If it's like the DC, you to go View/Add Configuration and select the 3rd and 4th drives using the space bar and it gives you the choice between raid 0 and raid 1. However I think the interface is different between the DC and the Di. You can get the documentation from Dell's website, it will tell you everything you need. Actually that really should be the first thing you do when you get unfamiliar hardware. Also, you should to go to dell and download the latest firmware and drivers for the PERC and the latest BIOS and server firmware if you haven't already.

Is the drives being different sizes the only reason you want to do raid 0? That isn't going to give you any redundancy and the total volume size will be twice the size of the smallest disk. Unless you need the added performance of a Raid0 stripe I don't see the point...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, Dell is your best bet. If you can't find the information you need by Monday let me know and I'll get it for you. It's been a year since I set one up the last time, and it seems that each time I do I have to call Dell to get me started... My memory just has a problem retaining some things.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    There is a reason I am doing Raid 0, I want it for the speed.

Thanks for the help. I have the latest firmware. I will mess around with it and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I was able to figure out the problem... For whatever reason the second drive was not being detected. I was able to get the last 2 of the 4 drives setup for Raid0. I have the first set of drives setup for Raid1.