DNS when to use one zone over another

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
Hi Everyone

I thought i had DNS almost nailed but the other day I tried some different practice questuions and was getting slammed with questions asking me what type of zone should be used and why.

can anyone offer a simple explanation as to when./where you use different DNS zones or a resource ot help me beat this through my head.

thanks

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Active Directory-integrated: Is typically used internally associated with AD

Standard primary: standalone txt file that holds dns. I use it for external DNS.Ex- NS1

Standard secondary: Just a simple copy of the Primary on a second server name to keep fault tolerance. Ex NS2
  • SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    I understand that part... maybe my question was poorly worded

whne do you use a secondary zone?? and Why?

when do you use a caching only zone? and why?

when do you use a stub zone? and why?

and when should you set up conditional forwarding??
  • davenportdavenport Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've had this problem as well. I took a practice test recently and two of the possible answers (to me) could have been correct. They were either a conditional forwarder or a stub zone. Both would have fixed the problem and I know how and why they would have fixed it but I didn't know which one to select. If I can find the question I'll post it on here and maybe it will help someone help you.
  • elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    I think you guys should focus on what they are and what they do...........

time to hit the books again guys
    stonecold26.jpg
    elover_jm wrote:

I do not hink we need to re-read an entire book for a simple question

I'm just looking ot have this information Clarified

please psot the answer if you know it (I'll assume you must by the tone of your post)
    I did a bit of digging and came up with this

Stub zones contain SOA, NS and glue recourd (hosts)-- there benfits are : keeps info up-to-date and speeds up resolution

it seems to be best used like a secondary zone but since it is smaller and contains less info the replication traffic is reduced. The best example I found was in my exam Cram 2 book where it stated it is most likely to be used between compaines that closely tied to each other and access each other's resources. The clients will issue a query to the Company A DNSserver and then company A server forwards the requert to Company B's server for resolution.
    I'm gonna try and expalin this let me know if I'm off
    Smallguy wrote:
    I understand that part... maybe my question was poorly worded

whne do you use a secondary zone?? and Why?-- secodary zones seems to be primarily used for redundancy and are read only copies. But they can also be used if 2 compaines frequently access each others resources but it can be problem matic if there is a slow WAN connection between the companies

when do you use a caching only zone? and why? Caching only is a type of server that " rembers" the resutls of queries and and is normally used in remove sites. Eventually it will have enough info stored that you will not need send queries ver the WAN Link. This does;nt seem to be a good solution for compaines woh change quite a bit because thie info cached could become outdated

when do you use a stub zone? and why? --- see Above

and when should you set up conditional forwarding?? Conditional forwarding is used when you want requests made to the internal network to be forwarded to a DNS server that stores internal DNS zones, but you want to have resolution requests that are made to Internet domains sent to the Internet
    Conditional forwarding is used when you want requests made to the internal network to be forwarded to a DNS server that stores internal DNS zones, but you want to have resolution requests that are made to Internet domains sent to the Internet

Thats a good definition. Sometimes I'll know what something does and how it does it but it doesn't hit me right off on why you would want to use it. Thanks
    I jsut was tlaknig to an instuctor i had last year and he said Stubzones also work well with Child domains

for exmapled you have contoso.com and marketing.contoso.com if you create a stub in the marketing doamin it will direct all requests for the contoso.com odamin to the appropiate server

is this correct?
    Smallguy wrote:
    I jsut was tlaknig to an instuctor i had last year and he said Stubzones also work well with Child domains

for exmapled you have contoso.com and marketing.contoso.com if you create a stub in the marketing doamin it will direct all requests for the contoso.com odamin to the appropiate server

is this correct?

what would you do if the server on marketing.contoso.com only allows access to the DNS server on contoso.com........when clients in contoso.com wants to resolve clients on marketing.contoso.com?
    stonecold26.jpg
    Smallguy wrote:

is this correct?

Thats right, if you have a domain and you create a child domain that wants to host their own DNS service, you would create a stubzone for the child domain so names in the child can be resolved.

Here is a question I have for this situation. If clients in the child domain want to resolve names in the parent domain. You could either have the child hold a secondary zone of the parent, create a stubzone of the parent (?), or setup a conditional forwarder to the parent. Is that correct? If so, what would be the best solution?
    elover_jm wrote:
    Smallguy wrote:

is this correct?

what would you do if the server on marketing.contoso.com only allows access to the DNS server on contoso.com........when clients in contoso.com wants to resolve clients on marketing.contoso.com?

I'm not sure what you mean here. If clients in the parent domain try to resolve names of clients in the child, the DNS server in the parent is going to look at the copy of the stubzone you created for the child, then it will go to the name servers in the child domain to resolve any names for that domain.
    in this case u simply would have to use a condional forwarder.

since the firewall won't allow other client but the server to resolve names on it's domain.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    elover_jm wrote:

Please speak for yourself.

@ SmallGuy: Try this link. I use it from time to time as reference.
    http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/
    garv221 wrote:
    elover_jm wrote:

Please speak for yourself.

@ SmallGuy: Try this link. I use it from time to time as reference.
    http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/

Thanks garv
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is definitely a good link. I've had that bookmarked for quite a while and use it as a reference for dns.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks