Options

Backup image

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

How are people backing up their PC, at home or in work.

In work we have images on a D drive and use Ghost to copy it across as and when windows needs re-installing.

At home i dont have a backup system yet but i am looking at how other people do as i dont have Ghost at home.

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    I tend to have a 'system' and a 'storage/file' physical drives and only install OS to the first.

To be honest with you i only backup the second one (onto a external HD) because 9 times out of 10 by the time I want to or need to re-install Windows I happy to wipe the lot and start again and get rid of all the junk I had on there!! icon_lol.gif

In the past when i have backed up the 'system' drive I have used ghost.

If i had the time/money and the data was that importnat I guess i would setup a RAID config. Depends what you use the machine for I guess.

[Edit - At work we use tape drives and most servers use Business Continuity or Shadow Copy]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We have TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager). Our TSM clients connect our systems (clients/servers) to a high-speed SAN that is in our datacenter. For imaging, we have several ghost images for our workstations.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    We use Ghost and Acronis True Image. We use Ghost to make archival backups of machines, and Acronis for migrations from one machine to another. It has a Universal Restore feature that lets you apply an image from on machine to another, even if the HALs are different, which Ghost can't do yet.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    www.acronis.com

Awesome products!! A variety media you can backup too!! far better then Ghost and I've been a long time ghost fan, but after using Acronis....there is no looking back.

As far as the Universal Restore.....This is a HUGE time saver on say an old server just about to die (or be retired) when you can take the drives and migrate all your data/files/image files over to the new server without a glitch. Gotta try it next time you upgrade a server or even a workstation.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?