1900 or 2950 Switch Commands

volocityvolocity Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys. I was wondering on the CCNA exam do they cover 1900 switch commands or 2950 switch commands on their question and sims?

Comments

• KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I believe the 1900 isnt supported now so it's 2950 you have to concentrate on.
    Kam.
  • djmddjmd Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Correct, the 1900 commands are no longer in the current cisco press cirriculum.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Working with commands on a 1900 won't help you much.
    A 2924 is better than nothing.
    A 2950 is perfect for the current studies.

Some people will try to get by with a 2924, as you can pick one up for $50-75. A 2950 will go for $200-400 on ebay.

On the higher end, a 3524 doesn't have the current command set and will often sell for less than a 2950 because of this. Even though it is a higher end model.

The 3550's and 3560's do have the current command set, so go for those if you have $900+ to spare

:)
  • Johnny 5Johnny 5 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Another line worth mentioning is the 2900XL and 3500XL. They run IOS, but only up to 12.0. So you'll have the same CLI just less bells & whistles than the others, namely no QoS.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    ah shag.

I just bought a 1924 to help prepare for the exam....

Its in the layer 2 switching section of the 5th edition sybex book so I assumed it was needed....
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    ah shag.

I just bought a 1924 to help prepare for the exam....

Its in the layer 2 switching section of the 5th edition sybex book so I assumed it was needed....

It's not useless and will help you but just know from what has been stated above, it has limitations and now you are aware of what they are.

One thing about routers I have been looking for and never found, is a listing of the different models, what IOS' they can have, what features they give, etc. Yes there is the Cisco site but something in a readable tabular form would be great without all the, what to me is still mostly, gobbledeygook.
    Kam.
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Yeah, after reading this it got me wondering about the routers too.

The Sybex book mentions the 2501 and 2610 models and mainly focuses on the 2610.

It'd really suck if you studied for something that was actually changed....

:)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"