Options

Medical IT Jobs

AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
Hello icon_lol.gif
My 1st post,
I was wondering if anybody knows sources with information about Medical IT jobs.
I am still trying to decide what will be my path in IT since I will be graduating in 1 month with a Bachelors degree in Network and Communications Management. I've always loved medicine and I will like to mix the two fields together.

Any help will be appreciated. icon_rolleyes.gif
XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
VCP4 » 0%
LPIC-1 » 0%

Comments

• Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I work in a retirement home/nursing home/elderly rehab. facility as a network admin and I found it on careerbuilder. There are tons of jobs on careerbuilder and sites like it that are looking for people to work IT in a medical capacity.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to work for a health care company as a IT Support Tech and I liked it but the pay was on the low end. It is good experience though and a good way to break into the industry. Check out hospitals, clinics and other heathcare facilities in your area to see if they are hiring. Don't just put in a resume and app but talk to the IT dept. Manager directly. Hope that helps.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I've spend over 13 years working in and around the NHS in the UK in the support field. Wages are low, training almost none existant but then the NHS is severly overstretched in the UK.

One thing you will get is working across many departments and get experience right across the board in the support fields and for huge userbases. Very, very good experience but, with the low wages, don't spend too much time there.
    Kam.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I'm not sure what you are asking, but there are many different aspects of the IT in the medical field.

Many are responding with the support/networking side of things that usually only require certs and might result in low pay. There is a lot more I.T. in the medical industry than support and networking. I had an interview for a hospital located out of my state and I was ver impressed with their technogy. Their I.T. department was responsible for support, networks/systems, programs, and I.T. innovation. The part that impressed me were the programming and the innovation. I cna't remember the full details, but they were creating a new solution for XRAY technology that noone in the nation is using. It's been a long time, so I can't remeber exactly. They had a lot of programmers (AS 400, COBOL, ORACLE, etc) and they made a LOT of money. They also had a few computer engineers who were working on and designing new technologies for the hospital to make things more easier for the doctors and patience and implement more I.T. into the workforce.

The phrase "information technology" is used loosely, and encompass SO MUCH MORE than just certs, help desk, and networking.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)